Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 29-2, 6.5 inch bbl, nickle plated, NIB, paperwork, tools, even the blue flocked plastic is perfect. Mid 1970's production.

I took it to a gun show and got a couple of lowball offers from the usual table trash. The gun is flawless and has rarely seen the light of day.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
These guns are nice, but not particularly rare. Yours sounds like a fine example.

These days, 4" guns are pretty hot, but longer tubes of 6 1/2" or 8 3/8" not so much.

Not sure what the "Table Trash" as you put it offered you, but you may need to understand that if these are resellers, you couldn't possibly get the best price from them. They will however give you the chance for a quick sale.

Here your gun would probably bring about $650 full retail. I would expect that a legitimate reseller who operates a business and understand his costs of doing business, could not offer you more than $350 or so.

Sellers who read a number out of a book rarely understand this and often think a dealer can pay them retail prices. If he doesn't he's some kind of thief. This is simply not the case.

To get every last dime out of your offering, you would be best advised to sell to a collector who will pay more for a fine example and offer you closer to retail.

Good Luck.

Drew
S&WCA 1802

·
Registered
668 Posts
It is not so hard to find such a model in my area, and the longer length barrels don't bring as much here either.

Without sitting on a shelf for months unknown, $600+ is a typical realistic price for our area.

One of my unfavorite dealers has a "LN" but no box 6" he's been trying to sell for $550 for over a year. No sale yet.

Another friend got upset when his m25 'centennial' NIB with all the goodies wouldn't pull an offer over $400 walking the aisles at a recent gun show.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I somehow doubt I'll be selling a NIB S&W to some peddler at a gunshow for 350 bucks, not when he has a rusty, shaved cylinder Webley for 695 on the table among the 80% finish police turn-in 38's for $350 a piece.

I've been to a gun store before, most of the ones still in business do not charge a 100% mark up.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
lonegunman said:
I somehow doubt I'll be selling a NIB S&W to some peddler at a gunshow for 350 bucks, not when he has a rusty, shaved cylinder Webley for 695 on the table among the 80% finish police turn-in 38's for $350 a piece.

I've been to a gun store before, most of the ones still in business do not charge a 100% mark up.
It's your gun, do as you please.

However you obviously lack the fundamental grasp of doing business.

Does the Electric Company take a check for a Percentage?
Does one pay one's Insurance and Taxes with a Percentage?
Does an employer pay his help with a Percentage?
Does the Bank take a payment on a Mortgage or Credit Line with a Percentage?
No. Everybody wants cash on the barrel head.

How many guns does the seller have to move every month to meet his commitments and still be open to provide access to the market for everyone else? 10? 15? say 30 or one a day. At 30 units and a $100 gross profit (as you would allow him to make) on each unit, I ask you... could you pay all of the above and make a living from the $3000 he would take in?

You get to set the terms of the sell. He gets to set the terms of the buy. If your both lucky you can meet in the middle and everyone is happy. If not, go your way in peace and don't complain. Put in the time, find the right buyer and peddle your wares to someone else.

But in the meantime, calling a seller "trash" or complaining about what you see as excessive profit taking is inappropriate and indicative of a limited perspective. Especially if you've never owned or run a gun shop.

End of lesson. Remember you asked.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hop over to www.GunBroker.com and type in "S&W 29-2" in the search box. The asking prices are above what you were offered.

I cannot seem to convince people, but if you truly wanted top dollar for your S&W, put it on GunBroker with an opening bid of $1 with no reserve. You will get exactly what that gun is worth. I've sold many guns there and I've never been disappointed with the final selling price. In fact, 9 out of 10 times, I've been outrageously happy with the selling price because it was hundreds, if not thousands of dollars more than what I could have gotten anywhere else.

·
Registered
507 Posts
mm6mm6 said:
I cannot seem to convince people, but if you truly wanted top dollar for your S&W, put it on GunBroker with an opening bid of $1 with no reserve. You will get exactly what that gun is worth.
ncOoaao
f.t.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I guess we all can't make a years wages off thirty guns like they do up in Maine. That being said, I doubt I'll ever be selling a gun for 1/2 value so some gunshow peddler can earn a weeks wages off me. The betting money says that you won't let anything go for half asking or less out of concern for my bottom line either.

But, thank you for the business lesson. If I'm ever planning on closing the doors instead of turning a profit I'll try and apply that lesson.

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
Drew,
Your perspective is dead on the money. I buy and sell my guns either here to the S&W enthusiasts, or on GB. I know those who are buying from me are offering a true FAIR MARKET VALUE.
The vendors at the shows have to pay everything out of their pockets up front just to make a living out on the road. They deserve to save a buck, just like the seller is trying to make a buck on the same item.
You're absolutly correct. It's a game of give & take.

lonegunman - You want to sell that 29-2 for what it's really worth?
Post it here in the classifieds for what you want, and you'll see if it's really worth what you're asking for it.
I've never posted a revolver here that stayed listed for more than 24 hours.
And, I've always received the full asking price plus the shipping.
Do your homework, and if you really want to sell it - Post it.

And that's my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
975 Posts
All.
Went to the great Yuma Gun Show last weekend. Maybe 6-8 29-2's, all different barrel lengths and blue and nickel. Asking prices were 950 to 675. 4 inch nickel was the 950, it was cased. They were still there Sunday afternoon. Sellers on either side of the table can ask any price they want. In this day and age it is a buyers market. There are plenty of guns available and a shortage of well heeled gun buyers, especially down here next to the mex border.
I think nickel guns are safe queens for collectors and they are a discriminating bunch, blue guns are easier to move. If you want a fast sale, dump it on a table guy or your local shop. If you want the big bucks, put it out for auction.
I have 1 nickel or chrome plated gun, 3.5 inch pre-27, it is a redo on the finish and I can't tell which. I clean it with Hoppes and have dunked it in the hot tub. I really don't like a shiney, chrome plated, nickel pimp gun. That attitude also influences the value of your gun. My opinion is of no matter!! There is a smaller market for nickel.
As the smart guys said, "put it on the auction block and the market will determine the value". I think you stand a good chance of getting some bidding competition and a higher realized price. Go for it.
Next time I hot tub dunk my pimped out 357 Magnum, I am going to put it for sale in the classifieds. I am tired of cleaning it.
Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts