Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back to the 1930's for this setup...
The gun is my 1935 K-22 Outdoorsman's revolver.
The grips are from December of 1938.
I think they make a real nice-looking combination.
Don
;)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Neat Don..... Just Curious.... How did you nail the date on those Roper Targets so precisely?

Drew

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drew,
In an 'earlier life', an owner (neatly) inscribed '12-11-38' inside the r.h. panel.
In going through some facsimile catalogs, I'd seen the finger-rest style, but only once.
Don
;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
In an 'earlier life', an owner (neatly) inscribed '12-11-38' inside the r.h. panel.
Hello Don
Those Ropers sure Look Sweet on that Pre-War Outdoorsman. My K-Frame Ropers have the date scribed into The back of the Upper Boreder of the Right hand Panel and it is the same year as my Outdoorsman K-22 Being 1936 as they are shown. Now you have me wondering if it was Matheis Gagne him self that did this when he made the grips ? It looks as though who ever did it used an Ice Pick, Are yours marked in the same Fashion ? Oddly enough the second pair I found which are-N-Sq. Frame Ropers are not dated at all on the Rear of them and are Missing the famous square Peg Holes that are seen on Most other Roper Grips. I thought at one time the second pair may be Pirated copies but they Look identical to my K-Sq. Frame set as shown. I found the K-Sq. set on a refinished K-22 That I paid $310.00 for and the second set came to me through a Gun show vendor that had them on a 27-2 with an 8-3/8" Barrel, and he wanted an original set of S&W Target grips so I swapped him a set of Checkered Presentation grade grips even up for them.Here is the back side of my K-Sq. Grips and they now reside on my Pre-16 K-32 Masterpiece and the-N-Sq, set are on my 25-2 revolver as shown. About the Only difference I can see between the tow pairs I have is the-N-Sq. set has an Outer Border line on them. In The Book Entitled "Images across America, by Author Roy Jinks, It shows a Picture of the S&W Factory Revolver Team. In that Picture it shows Albert Gagne the Son Of Matheis as one of the shooters. I have Often wondered if it was Not Albert who was responsible for the design and development of the Famous "Coke Profile Grips" we have all come to love ? if you compare those to his fathers grips, They have the Oval shaped Bottoms, slight Palm swell which was Much less than his Dad's Grips but Similar, and the Diamonds of course. What's you Thoughts on the Possibility that Albert Gagne may have had a hand in the design and development of those grips ?Hammerdown

·
Registered
497 Posts
+1 on Nice. That was also an interesting read Hammerdown.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Eh, not bad. One of these days I'll post pictures of my H&R 999 with all the blue flaked off and a set of S&W N-frame targets that I personally inletted to fit the H&R. Put all you boys to shame!

Nice guns, guys! When you die can I have your stuff? ;) :D

·
Administrator
8,103 Posts
Don,
They're absolute beauties! Great find!

They sure make a difference to the looks of your K-22. Congrats, and thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, Hammerdown
The scribing of the date looks very similar to the photo you've posted.
Don
;)

G

·
0 Posts
Hammerdown,

One of the better posts I've read regarding Roper. Your research and the way you communicate it to educate our members....is outstanding.

Nice to be able to keep your company on this forum. What was once, obviously Packwood's loss...has been our gain! Many fold...

Well done... :)

giz

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello Giz, Don, Geoff40 & Daytime Dave
I appreciate Your Kind words Guys. I have tried to get all the Information I can find on Matheis Gagne, who made all of Roper's Grips, but sadly there is not all that Much out there on him. I have Two American Rifleman Magazines one from the Mid 1930's time frame and one in the Mid 1940's that show Matheis In his small Two Car Garage making his famous grips, In a Suite Coat and Bow tie. The Man Had Class for sure. I also have the Two Books Walter Roper wrote Him self, But he speaks very Limited about Matheis or his work in them. I have never seen any Information on how many Pairs he produced, but I would sure like to know. Sadly, I think he was a Man that did not Keep good records of his work. I feel very Blessed and Lucky to have come across Two Pairs of his grip's, and now that Don has explained his as having the date inscribed on the rear like mine, I feel this was done by the maker. I have never Picked up another pair of grips as comfortable as his, he sure knew how to make them meet the shooters needs. Giz , I am Glad to be here and have been here ever since Dave started the forum. I also believe That "Everything comes Full circle", and it sure did for the owner of the Blue forum in the end I enjoyed his "Thermal Mental Melt Down" to no end, but it is too bad it sent so many Good members away, But many have come here and made this Forum a Nice Place to be....Hammerdown

1 - 12 of 12 Posts