Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my eye on a new M60, but I saw this little thing hanging out all alone... And it was love at first sight.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Put 120 rounds through it tonight, and it performed like a champ. I'm so pleased with my purchase!

I'd love to know more about this gun, if any of you have access to the S&W books, I'd be very grateful if I could get a DOB on it. The serial is 973J##. I'm guessing it's somewhere between 1957 and 1981 - the model and production numbers are on the crane, and the barrel is pinned.

Thanks for looking. I just had to share my new love with someone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, diamonback68! That is great to know. I appreciate the info!

kcq1, thanks! I feel the same way about pinned barrels. It's not a deal breaker, but it's definitely a bonus for me. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome! :D I'm not sure why it took me so long to sign up, but now that I've spent time browsing the revolver forum I can't help but think... "I've found my people!"

Do either of you have a preference for a non-ammonia cleaner for your nickel guns? I want to do what I can to keep this thing nice. I'm also searching for a proper holster, preferably a leather IWB style.

1972, huh? Perhaps I'm going to have to throw it a 40th bday party next year at the range. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I called to see if I could get an owner's manual (it's on its way!) and thought I'd ask about the year of manufacture. They gave me the year of..(drum roll please)... 1983!

Which is really bizarre to me especially with the floating J - I thought for sure we had it pegged. And the barrel is pinned-which I thought was a sure indicator that it was pre-1981. I think I might call back and request the age again- as it just doesn't make sense.

Ah well, just means I've got to hang on to it a bit longer before throwing it any 40th birthday bashes. :D

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
If you just described those grips to me I'm ...................not sure what I would think .

But the pic does them justice - Love em !

Congrats .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what you mean, georgepittenger! I don't think I would have been interested if someone had described it, as I'm not a huge fan of bling. I will probably put some rubberized grips on it in the future though, and keep these black pearl grips for when I'm feeling fancy. :D

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
This pistol does have a nickel finish? It looks awesome. Almost like high polished stainless. I really like the bling on it too.
Regards,
gearchecker

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Though I like original grips, and have them for all my handguns a little 'bling bling' is nice to dress up the safe.

·
Registered
21,342 Posts
kc, I can't see why you would like the std. Service Grips. They are so tiny........I can't get a good grip on those things! The revolver twists in my hand when I shoot it. Bob

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
kc, I can't see why you would like the std. Service Grips. They are so tiny........I can't get a good grip on those things! The revolver twists in my hand when I shoot it. Bob

For pocket carry they are tops on J frames. K, L, and N all get something a bit bigger.

·
Super Moderator
35,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum!welcome01

That is a great way to join the forum...great looking revolver with a picture included. I remember the model 36 I used to have, but it was blued. Handy little revolvers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll help you. The S/N is from what we call the "floating J" period of 1971-1972.

Oops forgot, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
You're absolutely right, diamonback68!! After I got the 1983 DOB from S&W, I sent them an email asking them again to recheck... as it just didn't seem right. I hated to be THAT person, but it just didn't make sense. I received an email back this morning- 1971. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome and the kind words! Very happy to be here in good company. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,654 Posts
Glad to have you here, Wish...and remember we love hearing about firearms and even better is seeing pictures. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts