Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What was it somebody once said? Something like, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen?"

I'm sorry, but "We're making it as fast as we can" doesn't cut it. A one-man ammo factory with a single stage press could say the same thing. It may be the truth but it doesn't address the failure to supply ammo in times of high demand.

·
Premium Member
13,669 Posts
Nice to see a working US factory with American workers contributing to our economy.

Operating 24/7 a factory like that can produce quite a bit of ammunition. All that ammo in bins and on the shelves in the background must be in some stage of manufacture / packaging / warehouse distribution and shipment - because it certainly isn't on store shelves.

The demand now must be staggering. I expect that the industry has some issues with agility and ability to respond quickly to market demand - and probably doesn't manufacture during times of less demand to store ammo for times of more demand.

A company with the vision to manufacture more during the low demand periods would clean up right now without additional investment in plant. Thankfully, there are a few more plants opening up (like SIG).

I do find it interesting that the higher profit versions of ammo (+P loaded ammo sells for 2x that of standard velocity, and only costs a penny more to make) are the ones in distribution right now. That profit should cover the cost of a couple more manufacturing lines.

Distributors still have their retail sellers on "allocation". That will continue for quite a little more time. I doubt we'll be back to normal for a year or more. Until then, sit tight.

·
Registered
690 Posts
What was it somebody once said? Something like, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen?"

I'm sorry, but "We're making it as fast as we can" doesn't cut it. A one-man ammo factory with a single stage press could say the same thing. It may be the truth but it doesn't address the failure to supply ammo in times of high demand.
Wow.... Who the hell do you think you are?

·
Registered
19,370 Posts

Maybe you need to invest in a couple million in swaging equipment, buy raw materials and employ a couple hundred to crank out ONE CALIBER...

·
Registered
863 Posts
I thought it was a good video. The guy showed the ammo is being made, it's just being bought as fast as it's on the shelf. For all I know liberals are buying it and throwing it away to keep it out of my hands. Someone is buying it, but at least I see that it is being made. I was lucky enough to be already stocked up when this shortage hit and I look forward to the shortage being over so I can shoot more often than I do right now but at least I'm not hurting.

·
Premium Member
13,669 Posts
I just posted it to my BLOG along with tours of the Federal, Hornady, SIG and S&B plants.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
He brought up some rumors I never heard of, and didn’t address the reported lack of ammo imports (which has nothing to do with him).

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Some people just do not understand basic economic and the fact that there is a Pandemic going on (ya ya it's all a fake, conspiracy) I like Federal video , to many whiners out there, tell it like it is,

Here is Hornadys much tamer version.

Haven't seen a video from any of the Toilet Paper companies though?🤣

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
If he’d done the video six months ago, he wouldn't have gotten so much hate mail.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Panic demand comes and goes. We've all seen it before. This latest panic has an additional complication of Covid disrupting supply chains of ammo manufactures that import to the US, but this too shall pass.

Remember, before this latest panic ammo was stacked to the ceiling at retailers. No buyers. Manufactures like Federal were offering rebates to incentivize buyers. Enter panic demand... Ramping up production to full capacity is one thing, but a manufacture investing in additional plant, property and equipment to expand capacity enough to accommodate a temporary spike in demand is entirely different. After the spike is over, then what? Serving the firearms industry as best they can does not include ammo manufactures bankrupting themselves investing in permanent capacity to serve temporary demand.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Nice to see a working US factory with American workers contributing to our economy.

Operating 24/7 a factory like that can produce quite a bit of ammunition. All that ammo in bins and on the shelves in the background must be in some stage of manufacture / packaging / warehouse distribution and shipment - because it certainly isn't on store shelves.

The demand now must be staggering. I expect that the industry has some issues with agility and ability to respond quickly to market demand - and probably doesn't manufacture during times of less demand to store ammo for times of more demand.

A company with the vision to manufacture more during the low demand periods would clean up right now without additional investment in plant. Thankfully, there are a few more plants opening up (like SIG).

I do find it interesting that the higher profit versions of ammo (+P loaded ammo sells for 2x that of standard velocity, and only costs a penny more to make) are the ones in distribution right now. That profit should cover the cost of a couple more manufacturing lines.

Distributors still have their retail sellers on "allocation". That will continue for quite a little more time. I doubt we'll be back to normal for a year or more. Until then, sit tight.
Inventory...it's like having an additional factory up and running instantly to cover surges in demand.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Kinda like the US strategic petroleum reserve.

Reactions: cp1969

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
The NRA could pay for the warehousing of the ammo reserve, instead of squandering our money on whatever it is they do. The CMP could get involved. No need to build warehouses, there are underused warehouses all over America.

Reactions: cp1969

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ammo manufactures warehouse ammo for an unknown number of years in quantities enough to meet demand of a temporary panic? Did ya'll listen to the video of how much ammo is required just to meet the demand for only new shooters at just two boxes each? C'mon guys...

Here's an idea. Store enough ammo to meet your own needs through a period of panic demand. It has worked real well for me.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I keep reading on gun forums that these panics are regular occurrences and WE should stock up, so...

Reactions: BC38
1 - 20 of 204 Posts