Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Nice!
I recall you saying you were more of a postwar guy, so good to see you picking up earlier models. :)

Any more info on them?

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Hey BL,

Another Fine Pair in your Stable!

Thank you for sharing those BEAUTIES!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I'd like to know is what S&W tree you are picking your guns from so I can harvest a few...? ;)
I am a disabled person and have to rely on the Internet now. Good stuff shows up from time to time. I do not do auctions. People tend to bid items up to more than a gun is actually worth. Thanks, Big Larry

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
I am a disabled person and have to rely on the Internet now. Good stuff shows up from time to time. I do not do auctions. People tend to bid items up to more than a gun is actually worth. Thanks, Big Larry
That is the truth. Went to buy a Nazi Officers Luger and the dang thing went for a huge amount of money, way more than I was willing to part with.

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Thanks K22. Is that your expertise? Been trying to pin down info on a late K22 that will be delivered today. Thanks, Big Larry
Not so much my expertise as it is about the only thing I have left of my father. He passed in 1965, the day before my 20th birthday, and the revolver and I share many fond memories with him. I try to continue to build a data base of K frames serial numbers in my spare time.

His K22 (now mine) is the only revolver I have lettered. It shipped in Nov of 1947. I also have the invoice from the factory thanks to Mr. Jinks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not so much my expertise as it is about the only thing I have left of my father. He passed in 1965, the day before my 20th birthday, and the revolver and I share many fond memories with him. I try to continue to build a data base of K frames serial numbers in my spare time.

His K22 (now mine) is the only revolver I have lettered. It shipped in Nov of 1947. I also have the invoice from the factory thanks to Mr. Jinks.
I have an early K22 # 4339, shipped 9-23-47, my 5th birthday. As to my Dads guns, he sold them upon retirement from the Marine Corps in 1957. He kept one pistol and gave it to me. A 1949 vintage Target Woodsman. Fortunately, he also left me all his USMC shooting medals, 3 of which are solid gold. My Dad lived just short of his 90th birthday. I am sorry to hear you lost your Dad at such a young age. Thanks for your nice post. Big Larry

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
I have an early K22 # 4339, shipped 9-23-47, my 5th birthday. As to my Dads guns, he sold them upon retirement from the Marine Corps in 1957. He kept one pistol and gave it to me. A 1949 vintage Target Woodsman. Fortunately, he also left me all his USMC shooting medals, 3 of which are solid gold. My Dad lived just short of his 90th birthday. I am sorry to hear you lost your Dad at such a young age. Thanks for your nice post. Big Larry
Thanks Big Larry. You know what it means to have those memories from a father. I never really got an opportunity to talk to my dad when I became an adult, especially about his service in WWII in the US Navy. I finally spent a summer (2010) researching his military career. I learned he was at the invasion of Guam in Jul 1944 and half of the crew on his ship was killed or wounded when it supported Marine landings. He was on a LCI gunboat which provided rocket fire in support of them just as they began walking ashore. That was when it became clear why he never talked much about WWII. I found it ironic that I was stationed on Guam in 1986-1987. It would have been great to have shared experiences of Guam with him; he clearly had the more exciting time. Here is a shot of his ship enroute Guam prior to the invasion. He would have been in the forward well tending his rockets.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Big Larry. You know what it means to have those memories from a father. I never really got an opportunity to talk to my dad when I became an adult, especially about his service in WWII in the US Navy. I finally spent a summer (2010) researching his military career. I learned he was at the invasion of Guam in Jul 1944 and half of the crew on his ship was killed or wounded when it supported Marine landings. He was on a LCI gunboat which provided rocket fire in support of them just as they began walking ashore. That was when it became clear why he never talked much about WWII. I found it ironic that I was stationed on Guam in 1986-1987. It would have been great to have shared experiences of Guam with him; he clearly had the more exciting time. Here is a shot of his ship enroute Guam prior to the invasion. He would have been in the forward well tending his rockets.

View attachment 498332
That is way cool. My Dad was a Plank Owner on the USS Vincennes CA44. He was on the first Marine detachment ever on the heavy cruiser when it took its shakedown cruise in 1937. Later he was sent home to train troops. Then came Okinawa and he made the April 1st landing with the 7th Marines. After the bomb, he was sent to China. Didn't get home until 1946. My Mom was really Pi$$ed by that time. Semper Fi to you and thank you for your service. Big Larry USMCR (60-68)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts