Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,192 Posts
It would have been made around 1939. The grips are newer than the gun and something just doesn't look right about the barrel. It should say S&W on the left side and 38 Special CTG on the right. The front sight should be a half round. Either the barrel was: cut down or it was replaced, or a replacement barrel that had been cut down was installed. I am leaning towards the 3rd of those options because I don't think the barrel should have that top rib, and there doesn't appear to be anything stamped on it. That makes me think it was originally much longer and the part that was stamped was cut off. Also the barrel should be tapered. Is there a serial number on the bottom of the barrel ?

Reactions: combat

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
s/n 675669 shipped 3/1939 and s/n 765111 shipped 4/1941.

• Helpful
Reactions: bigredfan1

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Thanks! Those two yours?
Yes.

675669 is a 5", .38 special. It was made just before S&W switched over to support WWII needs for firearms. Stocks are matched to the gun.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Organ Orange Font Poster Circle

765111 is a 5" barrel, .38 special. The stocks are not original to the gun but are within 70,000 of the serial number.

Wood Revolver Tableware Knife Gun accessory

Orange Wood Circle Font Logo

Reactions: combat and aebel69

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! You have a pre-Victory British Service Revolver originally chambered for .38 S&W. The cylinder has been reamed for .38 Special which is a longer and slimmer cartridge. The BSRs had 5" barrels and yours was cut to about 2" and the front sight was re-set. Most of the cut-downs we see have the front locking lug removed. You are fortunate yours wasn't. It has post WWII sharp shouldered magna grips. If you shoot .38 Special, the casings will swell and may crack which renders them unusable for reloads. If it was an original 2", it would look like this, but with different grips:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

·
Registered
17,192 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! You have a pre-Victory British Service Revolver originally chambered for .38 S&W. The cylinder has been reamed for .38 Special which is a longer and slimmer cartridge. The BSRs had 5" barrels and yours was cut to about 2" and the front sight was re-set. Most of the cut-downs we see have the front locking lug removed. You are fortunate yours wasn't. It has post WWII sharp shouldered magna grips. If you shoot .38 Special, the casings will swell and may crack which renders them unusable for reloads. If it was an original 2", it would look like this, but with different grips:

Guy, the barrel has a rib, which was not present on the victory. Wouldn't that indicate that the entire barrel was swapped instead of the original barrel being cut down. Probably a fairly long barrel too, since there are no visible rollmarks

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Guy, the barrel has a rib, which was not present on the victory. Wouldn't that indicate that the entire barrel was swapped instead of the original barrel being cut down. Probably a fairly long barrel too, since there are no visible rollmarks
Yes. But the original barrel, wherever it came from, was cut.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
The grips on my photo are period correct, simply not original to that gun. I pointed that imprint left by the grips I removed. You can search for Victory grips, either original or reproduction. You might look for other arched top grips with either bronze or nickel medallions. The prices are another matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts