Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We made it down to Yuma, Arizona yesterday to visit with our friends "Yuma Bill...aka RdrBill & Leo" and poke around the Murphy's Fairgrounds Gun Show for awhile. It was a fairly long drive (225 Miles) but filled with beautiful desert scenery. That particular jaunt takes the traveler through the transition from Sonora to the Mojave Desert...........with hundreds of miles of open country without much human habitation. Some folks refer to it as "Desolate" but to me it's "Breathing Room" (it's where I grew-up.....my home turf).

Some of you are aware of my affection for the .44 Special caliber and our Yuma friend has a few that I've lusted after for awhile......One of em came home with me.....

S&WPre24Model1950Custom_05.JPG

S&WPre24Model1950Custom_02.JPG

S&WPre24Model1950Custom_01.JPG

The serial number identifies this as shipped in late 1954 or early 1955 and began life as a Pre Model 24, 5 Screw, Model of 1950 Target that has been customized by modifying the barrel, grip frame (it's now a 4" barrel with round butt heel), backstrap checkering and white outline sight blade.

In my opinion, this 1950 Target Model .44 has been turned into a "Business Machine".........and I like it.

Registered
Hey Geeze,

Dang it! That ***** BLANKET of yours........... found a real winner!

Round Butt ('fore Round Butts were KOOL!), Checkering on same. 4" tube. Short Action 5 Screw. Target Sights. Stag Grip Panels...

OH MY!! That is a GREAT .44!!

Good thang I got the keyboard covered in time! :D

Later, Mark

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, I met another of our forum family "Hugh WW" while at the Yuma show. Interestingly, we have run into each other before at previous GS's but were unaware of our mutual forum membership. I sure is nice to meet one another........................

Banned
Round Butt ('fore Round Butts were KOOL!)
Proving that everything old eventually gets to be new again, that shape is a reversion to the "old school" of grip design found on most early Smiths (& many others) beginning with the #3. It's actually more ergonomic than the flared butt design, except for folks with large hands. Yes, "coke" grips look great, but for shooting, I prefer this style.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Proving that everything old eventually gets to be new again, that shape is a reversion to the "old school" of grip design found on most early Smiths (& many others) beginning with the #3. It's actually more ergonomic than the flared butt design, except for folks with large hands. Yes, "coke" grips look great, but for shooting, I prefer this style.
Yes, the butt shape is interesting. The heel of the grip frame has been rounded and the toe pretty much remains as it was........gives it kinda birdshead shape.....

S&WPre24Model1950TargetRB_012.JPG

Because of the uniqueness, our friend had the stags custom made specifically for the grip frame. He also modified a set or round or square but targets to fit this frame which makes it feel (and look) like a factory square butt.....

S&WPre24Model1950TargetRB_02.JPG

S&WPre24Model1950TargetRB_06.JPG

Banned
Because of the uniqueness, our friend had the stags custom made specifically for the grip frame.
Custom made, that is, hand fitted to the frame of the gun they're going on, is almost the only way to get an un-sloppy fit. I love stag, & have tried repeatedly to find stags that fit certain of my guns without gaps or being over-size, but mostly I'd order them, try them out, then send them back, or just resell if that wasn't possible--because poorly fitted grips spoil the whole gun for me. Not only do these fit like they grew there, but the "bark" pattern itself is very good looking & well balanced, which isn't always the case.

Registered
Tain't it funny how for some of us a purpose built /modified hand gun of a serious nature can have more draw than a pristine high dollar collectable.
I ,as of late , have been attempting to liquify my NIB guns ,,,,, they just FEEL too sterile to me anymore.
Don't take me wrong , a pristine old gun is still a thing of beauty with a solid future but ,,,,,,, A shootable , packable pistola , enhanced for a specific purpose has a soul.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts