Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Pre-Model 19 Combat Magnum

3K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Adirondacker 
#1 ·
Wanted to share a few pictures of a 4" pre-19 combat magnum that I picked up recently, it is a first year model manufactured in 1955. It is in decent condition overall, light holster wear on the barrel end, bore is bright and shiny, good lock up, and a really smooth trigger.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

See less See more
#9 ·
"... unwelcome guests." Awe shucks! I am the resident senior pastor of the local Methodist church! i would not have any need to lift a finger ... or even reach out for my handle little Model 19. Any unwelcome guest would face 15 lbs. of cold calculating heartless, unforgiving unrelenting carefully trained and throughly capable attack cat known to one and all as "Wild Thang!" I would of course administer what medical aid I could offer but given what WT did to the last unwelcome guest ... it would all be rather pointless. The last unwelcome guest was discovered dismembered ... decapitated, WT lying nearby quietly licking her claws. She left me to clean up the mess! Sincerely. bruce.

#12 ·
Great find. I've never seen a "pre 19." At one time I had a "no dash" and I've presently got a -1, but never a "pre."

Congratulations.

Reactions: latitude22
#18 ·
Hank, S&W did not routinely number target stocks to the gun. IIRC, it only occurred when the stocks were standard for the production such as a presentation target revolver that came with a display case. Magnas were standard on most guns, and numbered, with target stocks optional. But, they did not number an optional target set.

Reactions: latitude22
#22 ·
Why would you think one is ashamed of their serial #? No big deal to me but I think it is foolish to post the complete serial # unless I'm trying to sell the gun. I'll post a partial ser # and XX for the last 2 digits. Why - just because.

I do have the S&W centennial collection of a S&W leo sales rep from the 90s and they are all special serial #s. 2 are xxx0044 and 2 are xxx0000. Also have the prototype for the 686 custom service 3" barrel unfired from the factory. The box has a label with saleman's name on it and the last gun of the set I got from him is a 686 w/8 3/8ths barrel and the ser # is BFR0000. I figure that to mean big effin revolver. :cool:

#24 ·
Why would you think one is ashamed of their serial #? No big deal to me but I think it is foolish to post the complete serial # unless I'm trying to sell the gun. I'll post a partial ser # and XX for the last 2 digits. Why - just because.

I do have the S&W centennial collection of a S&W leo sales rep from the 90s and they are all special serial #s. 2 are xxx0044 and 2 are xxx0000. Also have the prototype for the 686 custom service 3" barrel unfired from the factory. The box has a label with saleman's name on it and the last gun of the set I got from him is a 686 w/8 3/8ths barrel and the ser # is BFR0000. I figure that to mean big effin revolver. :cool:
To many of us, that do research, a complete serial number is a must. I too have some very special guns and I always share complete serial numbers. You have your right to not include a number, as I also have a right not to share my info with you. In the past I have written a few articles and some of my guns are in books and magazines. I get in trouble for this often, but I personally think, if a gun is a legal purchase, why not share? Big Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.