Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve used this forum a lot in my research and I came across something today even the owner of the store couldn’t figure out what it is. After scouring online it’s a pre model 12 from 1951. It’s the alloy frame I went back and hit it with a magnet. It’s got a lot of bluing wear but no rust and the original diamond stocks. He told me 200 for it which seems ok considering the condition. I guess one of the clerks shot it too said it’s pretty nice. After looking around on here it seems this is the vintage that had cylinder blowouts. Does 200 seem fair and how dangerous is it to shoot? (I did tell them be careful firing it and if they sell it they should let the buyer know)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s what I’d read but this is definitely all aluminum. Kind of shame I wanted to add to my collection as a vintage gun I could carry and shoot without having to worry about scratches and dings.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know it’s a cool little piece I’m big fan of the K frames. And considering that it’s pretty much a danger to fire I can maybe negotiate it down a little

·
Registered
51 Posts
For $200? At that price, I’d buy just about any K frame.

A Model 12 would have to be awful rough for me to pass at that price.

A Pre-Model 12 with aluminum cylinder for $200? That might make my year.

No, I wouldn’t shoot it. I’d hang onto it.

If you need a carry gun and buying the 12 uses up your budget, buy it and take it to another shop and try to trade it for something of close value. You’d get more than $200 worth of gun unless the dealer is ignorant of them or really crooked.

Aluminum-cylindered Pre-12s aren’t everyday finds at any price. Carry guns are everywhere. Get the Pre-12 while you can.

Or tell us where it is!

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I was on the job, living alone, I used to keep a Model 10 range training gun on the table by the entry door of my abode. It had the firing pin removed from the hammer so it could be used for training, DT, weapon retention and scenarios; it had 6 dummy cartridges in it. No matter what time I got home, day or night, the first thing I looked for was that Model 10 on the table. If it wasn't there, I knew someone had broken in and may still be inside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts