Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found your forum while looking for info on a old smith, and glad I did, so I joined. I just have a a thing for old time quality and marksmanship, I fell in love with older revolvers made in America. And want to show off my latest find. It is a Smith & Wesson .38 Military & Police that I bought on GUNBROKER. It was sold as a SW model 10. Not knowing much at the time. So thats what I thought I had until I researched and realized what I had It is a Smith & Wesson .38 -M&P 5 screw W/ a small section of pitting on the hammer any more info from the pics would be appreciated S&W ser # C 1679XX all matching. Thanks M.
View attachment 478115

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Very pretty revolver, but you're aware it's been refinished? Not "running it down," but if the purpose of this site is to educate, then I hope you don't mind my mentioning that even a nickeled gun would originally have had a case-colored hammer & trigger.

Estimate made between 1948 & 1952.

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
Yeah it's a re-finish, original Nickel finish would be marked with a letter N on the cylinder near the serial number on the cylinder and there would be a letter N on the frame under the grips. But it is still a good S&W revolver. I also have one with a round butt from the same time period with a blue finish. All original.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very pretty revolver, but you're aware it's been refinished? Not "running it down," but if the purpose of this site is to educate, then I hope you don't mind my mentioning that even a nickeled gun would originally have had a case-colored hammer & trigger.

Estimate made between 1948 & 1952.
Thank you for the information that was the whole idea of posting this for the most information I can gather thank you again

·
Registered
21,999 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice little snubby. Thanks for sharing the pics. Love looking at the older revolvers.

Reactions: MJBOFF
1 - 11 of 11 Posts