Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lihjgq; I'm still kinda new to this so it's time for the next stupid question.
I see ads in the for sale areas that state that the revolver is "pre-lock".
what exactly is that referring to?

Some Brady Bill thing, requiring locks on the guns?

Can somebody answer this easily. oifNGF

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome.
Something dreamed up to make your 'Smith Lawyer proof. Its an integral trigger lock above the cylinder latch. If you see a hole above the cylinder latch on a new Smith...that's it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pre locks look good, are reliable, and are also worth more than IL or lock revolvers.

IL revolvers look like the hammer is buried in the frame. They lack the graceful curve of the frame around the hammer, and have the ugly zit above the thumb latch. Their MIM triggers and hammers look like badly oxidized metal. Of course they occasionally lock themselves up while firing as well. Real junk IMHO. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
As has been stated here, pre-lock refers to more than a century of handguns manufactured by S&W before they decided that they would try to make their lives lawyer-proof -- to no avail.

Most all shooters I've encountered hate the locks. But understand, virtually all of us are traditionalists. Arguments about the merits of newer arms aside, that means we take most new developments in damned small doses. ;)

I happen to hate the locks. I'll bet my grandsons will not think all that much about it. But I likely will be long gone by then... lkhjg;a

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts