Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.5" 5 screw "pre" and , after shooting the son's 29-3 (4") I was looking at getting one of my own. I see some 4" 29-2's are magnaported, which would certainly make it more shootable, and a -2 would certainly get more carry time. (Yes, Virginia they do make IWB's for hand cannons) :D

OTOH, there's something really neat about getting a 4" 5 screw gun. The one I have has an exceptional action. Of course there's a big price diff between the two, and a 4" 'Pre' would be purely a range toy.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If your main goal is shooting pleasure then a -3 or newer would be my choice. My pre 29 is my favorite .44 as I'm sure yours is for you. I've have had a few -2s with oversized throats that weren't very accurate at all. So if you are going for a shooter a Classic or a Performance Center model might be the way to go.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your main goal is shooting pleasure then a -3 or newer would be my choice. My pre 29 is my favorite .44 as I'm sure yours is for you. I've have had a few -2s with oversized throats that weren't very accurate at all. So if you are going for a shooter a Classic or a Performance Center model might be the way to go.
Not interested in anything with an IL. I did dodge the oversized throats bullet with my 25-5: shells are loose in the cyl, but it shoots very well. Go figure.

That magnaporting is very interesting though. My only ported guns are X frames

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The Classic and Classic DX guns shoot very well.
Maybe for carry a -3 or-4 with a 3" barrel? I'm short on "snubbies". (pun unintended) :D

I could swap it out with the 325 :idea:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm leanin' toward a SB 4" 629 and or a custom cut to 3 1/2"

I did one ( 3 1/2" ) years ago....My son has it....I kinda miss it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts