Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my letter of authenticity in last nights mail so thought I would share pictures of my .357 Magnum.

I had my old beat out model 27 carry piece but otherwise no Smiths in my inventory (mostly collect military but the wife did come with a heavy barrel Model 10 of her own which shoots real well) but I was in the local gun shop around Christmas time and saw this one, which turns out to have shipped from the factory September 28 1950 to Sloan's sporting goods in New York city. Well the owner convinced me I needed to own it so off I went, a little nervous about paying too much so complained about no box and stated if he ran across the box he needed to give it me at no charge. Well a month or so later I walked in and he handed me the box, no tools, cleaning rods or anything but still very surprised and very pleased.
I sent off for the letter and now have confirmed it is factory legit. Since then I have add a few more Smiths to the collection. Just having fun.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, hey do you think I need to limit the number of rounds I fire? Will the drag line get noticeably more pronounced or am I good to put maybe 500 rounds down range without hurting value?

Jim

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks guys, hey do you think I need to limit the number of rounds I fire? Will the drag line get noticeably more pronounced or am I good to put maybe 500 rounds down range without hurting value?

Jim
Unless your 30 years old .. screw resale value. I realized that most of the stuff I am buying now will outlast me. Im a goin' to enjoy it and screw any resale. Used to be when I was younger .. "oh this might be worth something someday" well .. someday has arrived.. I am going to suck every last bit of marrow out of life.
JMHO ... go shoot it .. at least 500 times!! :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
That’s a pretty sweet deal you got sir. I got one a few weeks ago, it’s had an issue I’ve been working out but it’s super accurate and really fun to shoot. I’d say shoot it. I have guns I try to keep nice and ones I don’t worry about as much but they are all for throwing lead.

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
That's a great looking revolver and, though it's not a collectable, it should be a great shooter. I would put S&W Target stocks on it, since the Magnas are too small for my hand. The revolver rotates in my hand, when I shoot it, wearing Magnas. Enjoy shooting it! That's the kind of revolver you can enjoy owning.......rather than letting it stay in the safe. Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
I Have a couple of questions on your box.
Is your box the 3.5 inch labeled box?
I'm Wanting to know the dimensions on an orig 3.5 marked box. As in the length x width of an orig 3.5 gold box.
Thanks a Bunch.
Love the 3.5 pre 27 Smiths from a bygone era..

·
Super Moderator
19,894 Posts
Shoot it! As long as you didn't pay a hefty premium for it, then I'd get to the range and run it through it's paces.

Hint! Get a Birchwood Casey Lead removal cloth, and wipe down the front cylinder face with it before you go out with it. It'll help keep the lead and carbon form building up on the cylinder, and it'll make wiping it off that much easier once you're back home with it.
I have a Pre-27 as well, and it's one of my favorite revolvers at the range.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
29,965 Posts
Congrats and enjoy that beauty!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Original box is 11.5"x4.5"x2"

Paid $1,500 but don't remember if that was with tax or prior to tax. Any feel for how does that compares to market value in this condition?

Looking forward to heading out.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
15 sounds bout right in the middle
of pre 27 3.5 esp good with correct
box. 12 lower if lucky to 18 range nowadays upper end for 97+ cond. Paid the same (15) '53 yr exc cond for mine orig owner bought 1st of the year minus the box. You did well pushing finding the box included.
Exc deal for you no regrets...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.