Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the forum and looking for opinions on re-nickeling. I have a really nice pre 27 that has rust and pitting under the grips. Doesn't show when grips are on and remainder of gun is in excellent condition. My question is am I better to leave it as is or have it redone. S&W
does not work on gun this old so cannot be factory done. How much would refinishing hurt the value?

Thanks to everyone for input. I'll be leaving as is.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Welcome to the Smith & Wesson Forums from Arizona. You have a very desirable .357 there. Rust under the grips is very common on the older guns blue and nickel alike. Simply clean the area thoroughly and apply grease or wax to halt the rust and enjoy your prize with its factory finish. You'll be money ahead and happy you didn't ruin it's value with a refinish.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Refinish a nickel 3 1/2 inch Pre 27 for some spotting under the grips? Sure, if you want to remove 75% of the gun's value. You're talking about a $1000+ gun in it's present condition.

Seriously, don't do it. Take a bronze brush from your cleaning kit, or some bronze wool and some oil and work on the sports under the grips until you've removed all the active rust (spots will look black when you're done) Wipe off the excess oil and you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
18,266 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, OWG! Try some Blue Wonder cleaner on that rust. It'll take it down to bare metal without hurting the finish. You can seal the bare metal away from oxygen and water with Renaissance Wax or Strike Hold. See the youtube videos on Strike Hold...excellent!

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Like the others stated..don't refinish it. Any pics? We'd like to see the pre-model 27.:)

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Howdy and Welcome...................

Neutralize & remove the rust residue, seal it with wax (or other sealing solvent), put the grips back on and shoot it.............

You've got a prize with that piece...........enjoy it in good health.

Best Regards,

Geezer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts