Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 years teaching CCW has convinced me the 642 is by far the most popular for concealed carry, because it is small, light, smooth, simple, and handy.
I am also persuaded that, unless you are law enforcement, and need to shoot in self defense, odds are overwhelming that you will shoot from a range of arms length up to about five feet. The main
concern I hear about 642, is .38
Sp. powerfull enough? I believe it is.
Last Summer I gathered up some ammo to reassure myself. The
3 so-called FBI loads from Winchester, Federal, and Remington. A hollow base 148-Gr wadcutter from Ultra-Max, a hand load 148-Gr. hollow point wadcutter, Remington's 125-Gr. Golden Saber, Federal's 129-Gr. Hydra-Shok, Winchester's +P 130-Gr. SXT, Speer's +P 135-Gr.
Gold Dot HP, Corbon's +P 110-Gr.
DPX, Winchester's +P 130-Gr. JHP
Bonded PDX1, Corbon's +P 100-Gr.
Pow'R Ball, Hornady's +P 110-Gr.FTX Critical Defense, Corbon's +P 110-Gr. JHP, Winchester's +P+ JHP Ranger, and
Remington's 125-Gr. Golden Saber
in .357 Magnum.
Then I built 16 box targets. 3/4"
plywood front and back, with 12"
in between filled with compressed
foam rubber. On the front of
each target a 3" bullseye with a
layer of leather, 2 layers of cotten, and a layer of denim. My thinking was a bullet that penetrates the bullseye, the front wood, the 12" of compressed foam rubber, and the back plywood
would probably penetrate the bad
guys cloths, skin, sternum, heart, and spine.
Then I shot one round into each bullseye at a range of 3 feet.
I used Model 60 to shoot the .357 load and the Winchester Ranger.
I shot the other 14 from the 642.
Which bullet do you think went through all of the barriers and out through the back plywood?
Every one of them! Furthermore
I could not see any significant
difference in the "exit wounds".
My conclusion: Use the ammo
that you shoot the best. Any of it will do the job, if you do yours, which is to hit the center of mass. Practice! Practice!
Practice!

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I have been thinking about having Barb go through a CCW class. We never had a reason to 'get nervous' before, or now for that fact, but,,,, with the way things are going, it may be time to 'just do it'. Good info posted above, thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 38 special has been a proven and effective cartridge for over 100 years. There are more potent and desireable cartridges out there, but the 38 will do the job sufficiently. I will definately agree that the 642 is probably the best all around CCW revolver there is, or atleast most popular. And it should be. Simple point and click, lightweight, compact size and its about as reliable as you can get.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Mick... Good idea to "just do it" indeed. Do you buy car insurance AFTER you have the accident... nope!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne as J.B.
Books in THE SHOOTIST.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts