Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here buy and shoot PPU (Privi-Partisan) factory loaded ammunition?

Reason I ask is because I had a couple boxes of PPU 338 caliber rifle loads that one. were supposed to be 250 grain HPBT bullets but were in fact 285 grain (I weighed them as I pulled the rounds apart) and the primer pockets inside the cases were loaded with burrs which impacts primer flame travel and propellant ignition negatively. Finally the powder charge consisted of 2 distinct powders, what looked like H1000 (which is the preferred propellant for a 338 caliber bullet but there was also a quantity of spherical propellant in each case.

The rounds were junk, the primers were so hard that ignition was inconsistent and the PPU distributor actually refunded my money but in as much as 338 brass alone is over 2 bucks a case, I figure I'll rework the cases and reload them with real hunting bullets and propellant and good primers.

reason I'm posting this is because PPU offers many handgun calibers but from my firsthand experience with the 338 caliber, I would strongly suspect that the grain weight of the buller marked on the box and the actual weight to be 2 different things entirely.

Buyer beware.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had a case of PPU .380. My Bersa BP380cc (cheapest gun I owned) had no problem with it, but my G42's (both of them) absolutely and positively would not work with it. Mosty FTF but some stovepipes, etc. A friend's wife really liked my G42, so her husband bought her one. I warned him about the PPU. He, of course, didn't pay attention. Not too many weeks later he was selling the PPU real cheap at the club to anyone who would buy it.

I wound up trading the Bersa in when I bought my Shield 380EZ, simply because the Bersa was all but impossible for a person with only 2 hands and arms to take apart and reassembly for simple field stripping. Three hands might have made it easier. Well, that plus the fact that as my arthritis gets worse and my hands get weaker, I could no longer rack the slide back without using my HandiRacker.

Sorry for the digression. I will not buy anymore PPU of any caliber.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I ran a box of that ammo through my 77/22 Hornet and it was accurate and consistent . No gripes here .

·
Banned
918 Posts
I've shot 30/30, use the PPU 30.06 Garand ammo, 7.62X54R, and a couple other calibers. IME, it's been fine ammo. Great quality for the price.

Sounds like you got a real stinko batch, tho...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I haven’t tried it but have been tempted due to low cost. I thought I would wait until the verdict was in. A friend bought some and loved it but a month later he said it worked in some guns but not others. That sounds like inconsistency in load or physical parameters like projectile weight, etc. My thoughts in the end were why buy cheap ammo and risk a nice gun. I decided to pay a little extra and for costly ammo like 38 spl, 45 acp I would defray cost by reloading more.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Administrator
8,064 Posts
I've shot it in .308 and .30-06 with no problems. In fact, I've been shooting it for years with no problems. I'm really surprised to hear others have had incidents. This is the first I've heard.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little update.. I've pulled 40 rounds apart now. Remember that 338's are huge cases and substantial in weight and size.

Of the 40 I've pulled and deprimed, every one had a mix of powder, looked like H100 and something ball powder like but what was interesting to me besides the really burred up flash holes was there is no consistency in projectiles. Some bullets were solids, some were lead core FMJ, some were smooth jackets (no canulere) and some had a distinct step in them. I saved most of them and the propellant, I'll have to snap a picture later today and post it.

No way could you get consistent external ballistics with that stuff. On a good note, the brass is consistent in weight.

Normally for handloads in magnum calibers I buy top shelf components, Lapua or Norma brass, Federal Gold Medal Match primers and Hodgdon or Alliant powder, but I had them so I figure I'll rework them.

Now that the pockets are uniformed and deburred, I'll wet tumble them and anneal the necks, run them through a bushing sizer die (Whidden 0.363 bushing), check the case OAL to make sure they are consistent and within spec and load them. Berger 250 Elite Hunters, 215 primers 84 grains of H1000 (start load) for laddering and jumped as long as I can get in the external magazine.

I'm of the opinion that PPU is on par with Wolf except the PPU has brass cases, the Wolf is steel cased.

Might not be an issue with handguns because of the limited range but with a long distance round like a 338, inconsistent projectiles equals terrible ballistics.

I also have on the shelf, a couple boxes of Sierra 250 grain hunting bullets in lead core spitzers, I'll probably load some of them as well. Always had good results with Sierra but the BC on a Sierra is no where as efficient as the Bergers because the ogive on the Bergers is much more tapered so the fly more efficiently.

Reactions: delcrossv

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We will probably stop selling it at the store a lot of complaints with it in all calibers. Guess cheap isn't always good.
I was pleasantly surprised that the distributor refunded my money for them. That happened years ago, I've had them sitting for about 6 years, so, in reality they didn't cost me anything but having taken them apart now, I'd never buy anymore. Typically, quality 338 Lapua loaded rounds will cost upwards of 100-150 bucks a box of 20. I cannot remember what I paid back then but I'm sure it was better than 50 bucks a box (20) and I bought 5 boxes.

These are for my upcoming NM Elk hunt and I want to make doubly sure the bullet goes where I send it. As a rule, I'm not a factory round person in the first place.

Least I'll wind up with useable brass.:D

·
Super Moderator
10,842 Posts
this is very surprising to me. My experience with this ammunition has been great in several calibers. In fact, I often will buy it when I pick up a new caliber with the intention of using the brass for reloading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Have used their 7.62 x .51 in my M1A without any problems .

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
Have used several pistol calibers, and .308. All went bang just fine. I don't shoot (can't see) out far enough where ballistics will make the difference in a deer kill or not.

·
Premium Member
11,437 Posts
PPU .38SW (Large).JPG

My only experience has been with the .38SW. No issues.

·
Banned
918 Posts
Shot 30-30, 30.06 and 7.62X54R with no problems. It's far more accurate than the Spam can fare, for the 91/30.
And it shoots as well or better than most of the other brands I use.

Maybe there's a chump working at the factory. All it takes is one disgruntled, lazy, careless, or inexperienced employee to gum up
the works.

Sorry about your 338 rounds. That stuff is expensive.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PPU is produced 'over there' so quality can be whatever the mood strikes them. The one thing that I consistently found was the flash holes were very crappy, butted up and off center, but pocket tension was consistent. The reworked brass, reloaded shoots consistently now, just laddered a group the other day.

·
Registered
19,639 Posts
It just goes to show you......that sometimes, at a cheap price.......you get what you pay for!!!!! ;) I usually stick to Winchester ammo.....I bought several boxes of 9 mm. for my new Ruger. However, I have found that the cheap Remington and Winchester .22 LR, available in bulk boxes, is crap! I usually have a bunch of misfires, and FTF because of bullets not seated correctly. This being said, I like the 50/100 rd. boxes of Win. High Vel. .22 LR to be fine. I also like CCI and Federal .22 LR. ! :D

The Winchester, CCI, and Remington centerfire pistol, rifle, and shotgun Game Loads and High Vel. loads.........all work well!!!! Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts