Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I was looking for powder suggestions for reloading .40 cal S&W ammo. I have a S&W Model 410 semi automatic. I am new to reloading, and am not looking to experiment for some high performance ammo. I just want a nice load that will work in my gun, (not go Kaboom especially) that I can target practice with and get use to my gun. This is my first handgun, and I want to get into shooting more. Lee's recipe book has "Longshot" powder as the first choice and I just wanted some suggestions from folks that have done this before. Here are the other variables.

165gr Berry Prefered plated bullets
Range brass (most once fired from my gun)
A friends Lee's Pro 1000 press

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,324 Posts
Accurate #7 would be a sound choice. Here's teh company profile of it.

Accurate No. 7 is an intermediate burning, double-base, spherical powder suitable for a wide range of handgun calibers. No. 7 is an excellent choice for high performance semi-auto handguns such as the 357 Sig, 38 Super, and 40 S&W. No. 7 is also a cost effective solution in larger magnum handgun calibers. Made in the USA.

It's the powder I have for my .40 pistol loads.

I'm certain otheres will chime in with their preferences too.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Reactions: Rcope822

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
I have had good performance using Alliant "Power Pistol" in my 40 S&W reloads. In fact I use the Rainier Plated 165 grain bullets in my target/range loads.

Here is a Link: Alliant Powder - Power Pistol

·
Super Moderator
10,842 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once again thanks all. My friend and I decided to get a few different powders, as he loads 9mm and .45. We went with Unique, Universal, and Win 231. I assume I should set my OAL at 1.125, to help with over pressures. One quick question. The Hogdon site does not show recipes for plated or FMJ bullets. It only has JHP. Should I use that data? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Beebe,

If the profile and bullet weight are the same, that's what I do. I do not shoot 40, but I do use this method in 10mm which is the same bullet.
Refrain from shooting with heavier powder throws until you know how your recipe is working. I also avoid the temptation to build more than a magazine full when trying a new loading. I have found it rather "un-fun" to have to pull 40 bullets after the first 10 were unacceptable in the shooting test!

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot everyone. Last night I made my first reload. IT WORKED GREAT!!! Felt like stock loads, cycled and didn't blow up. I used the the starting grains of Universal according to Lee's book. (5.1gr) Made the OAL at 1.125 and works like a champ. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
460 Posts
W231/HP-38 for practice ammo, Longshot for more serious business. (or HS-6 if you're loading lead bullets)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use Alliant "Unique" for all my pistol and revolver loads. Works great in 9mm, 38 spl, 357 mag, 40 sand w, and 45 ACP. with lead, plated, and jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I love the longshot for 40 and 10mm. The HP38 is a great all around powder but the longshot gives me the umph I want so practice rounds don't feel much different than my SD rounds and according to the hodgon website you can get the same velocity or better with using longshot over hp38 with less pressure.

·
Registered
10,659 Posts
Once again thanks all. My friend and I decided to get a few different powders, as he loads 9mm and .45. We went with Unique, Universal, and Win 231. I assume I should set my OAL at 1.125, to help with over pressures. One quick question. The Hogdon site does not show recipes for plated or FMJ bullets. It only has JHP. Should I use that data? Thanks.
Plated should be usually loaded to no more than half of jacketed, give or take

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
I always have started at the lower end of jacketed data for plated bullets, and usually end up under the midpoint. I have even had a few in 9mm where the minimum charge wouldnt cycle the slide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts