Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped loading my own ammo for about 15 years or so. Work just ate almost all my free time. Getting back in it now. I have storEd some smokeless powder and primers in separate refrigerators for 25 years or so. I’ve checked some of the powder from time to time and see/ smell no deterioration. Anybody tried powder stored that long?

·
Registered
28,221 Posts
I use powder I bought in the 80s and 90s in my rifles; goes bang with great accuracy.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
No issue so long as it's sealed in the original plastic containers. Not so much with the pasteboard containers as it can draw dampness. Don't keep any of mine refrigerated, it's all at ambient temperatue. fridges are for food, not reload components.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I stopped loading my own ammo for about 15 years or so. Work just ate almost all my free time. Getting back in it now. I have storEd some smokeless powder and primers in separate refrigerators for 25 years or so. I’ve checked some of the powder from time to time and see/ smell no deterioration. Anybody tried powder stored that long?

I have some Korean War era surplus powder, stored in my basement......works just fine! Stored in good conditions, if the smokeless powder and you had the same “born on” date.....it would likely outlive you! memtb

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Super Moderator
14,066 Posts
Kept cool and dry, it should last for years. But... hopefully the packages were sealed. A Refrigerator can be a humid environment.

Ammo kept cool and dry will last many decades. Most WW-II ammo will go bang.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Cool and dry but a refrigerator is not DRY, and is not a recommended place to store powder or primers.

That said, the primers should be fine they are remarkable tough. If the powder (at room temp) flows and no clumps, no smell it should be OK as well.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
Cool and dry but a refrigerator is not DRY, and is not a recommended place to store powder or primers.

That said, the primers should be fine they are remarkable tough. If the powder (at room temp) flows and no clumps, no smell it should be OK as well.
Actually. it better have a smell to it...Double base. It should have a vinegar odor.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
I'm still loading out of the late 70s / early 80s cache of components

Only thing I canned was my uncle's powder in cardboard containers and it did make quite a flash in the burn pile...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts