Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my newest toy. I have been wanting a fixed sight n frame for a while and I couldn’t think of any reason not to buy this. I’m blaming it on the election. It’s a lightly used 22-4 and the owner was nice enough to throw in 20 some moon clips. I changed the rubber grips to the magna style and added a BK grip. Anybody else coping by buying something new this week?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sold my post war 1917 and model of 1950 45 ACP revolvers and missed having a 45 ACP to shoot. I found a nickel 22-4 listed locally with out box and bought it. It came with standard magnas that I replaced with Pachmayrs. The gun shoots to point of aim and handles recoil well. Mine has TRR serial number with out Thunder Ranch logo.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Since I've never had the honor to shoot a .45 ACP caliber revolver, can any of you tell me what the recoil is like compared to other chambered S&W revolvers?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I've never had the honor to shoot a .45 ACP caliber revolver, can any of you tell me what the recoil is like compared to other chambered S&W revolvers?
I haven’t shot it yet but I’m hoping to this weekend. I thinking it will be minimal like Iggy said. I’m going to try it with the magna grips and a set of target grips I have also.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
I've been looking for one at a reasonable price and have for several years, just like a Ruger 9MM revolver. This just makes me want to keep looking for the right situation! :)

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
Since you are shooting a heavy bullet, but slow, the recoil is more of a push against your hand, and I notice a bit more muzzle flip than from a 1911 and I have a 5 inch full underlug barrel

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
BC2 In my hands the recoil from my 5" 625 with full lug is noticeably less than full bore .357 loads from my 5" 27 or 686. Also very accurate and auto rim cases eliminate the need for moon clips.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Congrats on adding that "toy" to your collection. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I never saw the allure of semi-auto calibers in revolvers. Then I picked up a Model 625. It quickly rose to the top of my favorite guns to shoot list. Now I have two of them and a Model 929 as well. Then since finding out about the joys of moon clips I added a Model 627 Pro Series 8 shot. If you find one for a reasonable price I would grab it. They are just great shooting guns.
Gun Revolver Firearm Starting pistol Gun barrel

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
IIRC it was 2008 that I found a little gun shop in Adel, Ga. In the case they had a 625-2. I glommed onto it. With encouragement from fine S&W friends everywhere, I bought that revolver. I have fired it with just about every sort of domestic and foreign .45 ACP FMJ load I could find. It is remarkably accurate even with cheap ammo. It has a butter soft double-action and a single-action that breaks like the proverbial glass rod. I put a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips on it that I bought back in 1979. Great combination. Got myself 40 moon clips so it is easy to have plenty of ammo ready to go when I get to the range. No big deal getting cartridges into the clips or empty brass out. Very much like this revolver! For a long time I simply shot it w/o moon clips. Most times the empty cases fell out or I flicked them out with my fingernail. Do very much like the moon clips. Fast to load. Neat way to keep up w/ empty brass. I've not run anything but standard ammunition through this revolver, i.e., not heated up zombie loads, bear loads, etc. Just a real pleasure to handle, shoot. If things work out, it'll be on my hip when I go deer hunting later this year. Sincerely. bruce.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts