Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the better part of two days helping a friend replace the convertible top on his vastly over-engineered German go-fast car. Honestly, the thing is more complicated than Chinese 'rithmetic. But I digress.

When we were done he handed me a LNIB Kel-Tec P11 as a thank you for the help.

So, any P11 owner's here? If so, what do you think about this little gun? Aside from the very poor bluing it seems very well thought out and well made to me.

I've read the internet reviews but want now to know what you REAL experts think of the gun...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I answered my own questions. I took the KT down to the Fawn Butt Gun Range and Blues Emporium and put 11 rounds through it.

Looooong trigger.

Decent accuracy.

Throws brass to the moon.

Two failures to feed with the rounds nose down in the mag.

Guess this one didn't make the grade for a SD pistol. Too bad, it's so cute...

G

·
0 Posts
I would trade it in against a Kel-Tec PF-9....I've owned two of those so far....A friend ended up with one and uses it for his CCW. I use mine for the same, when I want a lightweight gun that I can just throw in a coat pocket. It is dependable, accurate, always runs, and very slim and light....

giz

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Giz,

I've got the Rohrbaugh for that. It holds only one round less than the PF9.

I was hoping that the P11 would fill the gap between the Rohrbaugh and the Glock 19. You know, sort of in the middle--light and almost high cap.

I'm gonna fluff and buff and give it another try, but I doubt if it will end up as anything other than trade bait...

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Sorry, I was asleep......

Anyway Bro.... I wouldn't judge that little gat by the first few rounds.... the old school line of thought is to not make any judgements about an autopistol until it's had 250 rounds through it.....

That's one of the reasons I most prefer to buy used semi-autos...

If you take out a second mortgage and travel the country side maybe you can scare up another 5 boxes or so....

Drew

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sebago Son said:
...Anyway Bro.... I wouldn't judge that little gat by the first few rounds.... the old school line of thought is to not make any judgements about an autopistol until it's had 250 rounds through it.....
I'm going to take your advice. I really like the size and shape of the thing.

Ironic though that 250 rounds of 9mm cost 1/4 or so of what the gun is worth...

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
You can always sent it up here and I will take anything for free. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Daveht said:
You can always sent it up here and I will take anything for free. :mrgreen:
Anything for you. Consider it done. Please email me with your address, Visa card number, and expiration date. I'll be in touch... :D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have been tossing and turning, debating over a p11 and the pf9. i may be doing the same research as you. From what I have read so far, it takes about fifty rounds or so to clear out the bugs, kinda break them in. There are two at my local gun store that the guy says only have 20 or so rounds through them, according to the previous owner.

the p11 has the 7 ish pound trigger pull, which is no big deal to me, coming from the sigma 9ve. the pf9 has the 5 pound ish pull, but you give up 3(?) rounds.

the p11 does accept S&W 5903 mags though! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: The P11 now functions properly. The mag spring was 180 degrees out (placing the tall end of the spring at the back of the mag). I changed that and it has cycled fine so far through a couple of mags.

More testing to do.

Interestingly, the mag had never been apart, so it came that way from the factory. Some great QC, huh? (That's quality control, not the initials of that crazy out-West Texan who sometimes posts here).

I'm starting to like this gun. At 21 ounces loaded with 11 rounds of 9mm it is starting to look like a "baby glock" killer to me...

·
Registered
176 Posts
A man I work with recently purchased a P11. After several hundred rounds and experiencing a few snags in it, he decided he wasn't comfortable carrying it as a self-defense gun. He traded it in and now he carries the Glock 26. I guess the moral of my story is you have to be the one comfortable carrying it. Some love it, some not so much.

As for personal experience with one, I don't have any. I do like the looks of them though.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dixie,

Right you are. I put 11 rounds through it today at the Fawn Butt Gun Range and Blues Emporium.

One failure to feed on the 6th round. This is not confidence inspiring.

I called Kel-Tec and they said to put a couple hundred rounds through it before worrying. All in all, I am not thrilled so far with this Kel-Tec experience...

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Well if you get tired of futzing around with the Kill-Tec you could always step up to one of these....

or better yet,

In shooting it for 6 years I've never had a minute's of trouble with my MK40. It thinks it's a Glock and acts just as responsibly.....

http://www.kahr.net/PA-1_40sw_mk.html

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Al, there is a kel-tec forum. ktog.org
i read on there that you had to squeeze the frame tightly while firing (???)
that may have just been the pf9 though. Aparently squeezing the two halves of the gun together while gripping negates ftf's. kinda weird.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts