Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple factory bright stainless revolvers that show light superficial scratches when looked at in certain angles. Can these scratches eventually be buffed out with Mother’s Mag Polish or Flitz? If so what is the proper technique? I’m willing to polish on these guns for a few hours I just want to make sure I’m not going to make matters worse. Here’s what I’m referring to. Thanks in advance.
Revolver Bicycle part Trigger Gun accessory Shotgun
Shoe Musical instrument Wood Window String instrument
Shoe Musical instrument Wood Window String instrument

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Flitz and a buffing wheel (very carefully applied)- worked on my 66-4. I'd try it by hand first, safer that way especially being next to the logo.

·
Registered
21,160 Posts
I had the same scratches on my glossy M-67, but many more after 30 years! When I sent it to S&W in 2011, for a complete rebuild, at no cost to me. It was done under their 'Lifetime Warranty'. Pretty nice!!!! ;) Bob

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
You'll have a tough go as getting in close to other parts on the gun is a pain. And of course it's all by hand. Different grits in the pastes and liquids of course produce different results.
I'm working on a 1975 Browning knife now and trying to get out minor scratches without a stationary buffer and buffing paste...what a pain.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Keep 'em. Nothing wrong with some use and patina. If you start going after those kinds of scratches you may knock the sharp edges off the seams of the sideplate, dull up the rampant colt, etc.

Fighting the battle against normal, cosmetic wear is tiresome and comes with risk.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I’m bothered by scratches, real ones, too. I use Mother’s wheel polish with a soft cloth and lots of patience. Lettering and logos would require special care to avoid diminishing their appearance. There used to be several good utube videos on polishing stainless firearms. Understand how to do this kind of work and what end-look to expect before you proceed.

·
Registered
18,429 Posts
I use a Birchwood Casey polishing cloth on my 460 and scotchbrite on my brushed derringer.

Stainless is inherently soft so it scratches pretty easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts