Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I just picked up model 10-5 today! I was trying to figure out if its all matching or not. Also best way to clean it and whats a good holster to get. Thanks! For your time

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,733 Posts
Look for a 5 (corrected) inch "K" frame holster for a Smith and Wesson revolver. There are a number of models, including yours, built on that size frame.

Looking at it, it's unlikely that parts have been changed out on this. Later revolvers don't put the sn anywhere but the butt of the frame.. Early ones put the matching serial number on the back of the cylinder and barrel flat.

you should have a full cleaning kit for cleaning the barrel and cylinders after use. Use care when inserting a cleaning rod with brass brush, patch or mop from the muzzle end. Don't damage or nick the muzzle crown. I use Hoppes No. 9 as a cleaning solution and finish with a oiled mop down the barrel and cylinders.

You may want a Otis BoreSnake for casual cleaning. They can be inserted from the breech end of the barrel and cylinders.

Carefully inspect the forcing cone area and top strap for flame erosion. Inspect the cylinder, yoke and ejection rod and ensure it's lubricated, clean and operates smoothly. Don't ever slap the yoke and cylinder closed. Inspect for end-shake and any looseness in the cylinder forward and rearward. Inspect each cylinder position for lockup.

The action should probably be opened, inspected, cleaned and lubricated professionally. This allows inspection of the sear, trigger return spring and it's frame and any action touch up that might be needed. If you're not familiar with the action, seek an experienced revolver gunsmith.

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look for a 4 inch "K" frame holster for a Smith and Wesson revolver. There are a number of models, including yours, built on that size frame.

Looking at it, it's unlikely that parts have been changed out on this. Later revolvers don't put the sn anywhere but the butt of the frame.. Early ones put the matching serial number on the back of the cylinder and barrel flat.
The reason i asked about the serial number is it has the number on the butt but also has one where the frame and cylinder connenct. Picture included

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Your model 10 will last a lifetime or two with proper care. Most PD guns are carried a lot but shot very little and yours appears to be in great shape. Enjoy it!

The numbers in your photo are merely numbers used by facyory workers duing assembly...they have no meaning.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
The number where the frame and cylinder connect is a parts ID number. Certain parts are carefully fitted together before the polishing and finishing process. Those numbers are so they can get those fitted parts to the right guns for assembly and mean nothing once the gun leaves the factory. If you carefully remove the grips by removing the screw then tapping the back strap with a hammer handle of soft blow hammer until they work loose you may find the guns serial number written or stamped inside the right hand grip. This would indicate that the grips are original to the gun. A lot of cop revolver grips got beat up from hitting doorways, scraping walls etc. and those look pretty nice so its possible that they were replaced, but on the other hand the whole gun looks pretty nice so they may very well be the originals

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Congratulations. Nice example of a 10-5. Really nice actually.

Mine on the other hand, looks like it's been rode hard and put up wet. :)

·
Registered
19,992 Posts
Look for a 4 inch "K" frame holster for a Smith and Wesson revolver. There are a number of models, including yours, built on that size frame.

you should have a full cleaning kit for cleaning the barrel and cylinders after use. Use care when inserting a cleaning rod with brass brush, patch or mop from the muzzle end. Don't damage or nick the muzzle crown. I use Hoppes No. 9 as a cleaning solution and finish with a oiled mop down the barrel and cylinders.

You may want a Otis BoreSnake for casual cleaning. They can be inserted from the breech end of the barrel and cylinders.

Carefully inspect the forcing cone area and top strap for flame erosion. Inspect the cylinder, yoke and ejection rod and ensure it's lubricated, clean and operates smoothly. Don't ever slap the yoke and cylinder closed. Inspect for end-shake and any looseness in the cylinder forward and rearward. Inspect each cylinder position for lockup.

The action should probably be opened, inspected, cleaned and lubricated professionally. This allows inspection of the sear, trigger return spring and it's frame and any action touch up that might be needed. If you're not familiar with the action, seek an experienced revolver gunsmith.
According to the ad, these guns have 5" barrels, not 4"; cost is $259

https://www.kingsfirearmsonline.com/product-details?id=54015

Reactions: Blackcloud2

·
Registered
11,332 Posts

·
Registered
19,992 Posts
LAST thing I need is another 38 revolver; BUT.....................DEYAM I am tempted.................

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well i heard some people didn't get so lucky as i did

If I knew I'd get one in as good as shape as yours, I'd be all over it.

That's the thing about online police trade in's...ya never know what you'll get.

Last one I bought was one of the ONG 870's...it look like it had never been issued.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts