Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice 686-2 4" which I acquired 30 years ago with TPSC 021 stamped (factory I'm pretty sure) on the left frame below the cylinder. Any one out there know what TPSC is? Thanks.- whoever TPSC is they didn't shoot much or handle the gun a lot . It's in beautiful condition.

· Premium Member
23,179 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It is most likely the acronym for a security company and a rack number. Thomas Protective Services is such a company. Would you post some pictures of your 686 that show the stamp and the whole gun?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It is most likely the acronym for a security company and a rack number. Thomas Protective Services is such a company. Would you post some pictures of your 686 that show the stamp and the whole gun?
Don't know how many pics I can squeeze in bu there's a few.

Attachments

· Premium Member
23,179 Posts
Well it apparently shipped in 1988 which was a banner year for special orders. The Treasury Department ordered a bunch of 4" 686's that year. But they had unique UST serial number prefixes. It could be something related to the government but I've never seen that acronym.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it apparently shipped in 1988 which was a banner year for special orders. The Treasury Department ordered a bunch of 4" 686's that year. But they had unique UST serial number prefixes. It could be something related to the government but I've never seen that acronym.
I'll contact Thomas Protective Svcs and enquire . It's 33 years but maybe there's someone who remembers something..

· Premium Member
23,179 Posts
I doubt they are the company. I just pulled them up with a quicky search as an example. One way you might find out is to get an Historian's Letter of Authenticity. That will tell you when it shipped, to whom and in what configuration. If the factory did the stamping, that will likely also be in the letter. A link to the factory letter request form is in a sticky post. They cost $100.

· Registered
12,065 Posts
Hey Serge,

Welcome to S&W!

Wow! Great looking 686!

Later, Mark

· Super Moderator
16,057 Posts
Many revolvers made surplus when police agencies converted to higher capacity semi-auto pistols are in great condition. I bought a great Model 10-11 that had seen service in Victoria, Australia a few years ago. It had finish wear from extensive carry, but has been mechanically perfect. It's only mark was a unique 2D scan sticker that they used for inventory.

Reactions: msharley
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.