Registered
10,509 Posts
Hey BB,

That is some good work, there!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
What was the distance you practice at for your point shooting. I've done it up close at 7 yards when I had the range to myself. I also tried the flash sight method with good results. Nice shooting.

·
Registered
21,497 Posts
Point Shooting is good for close up shooting for me, but some people can do it at longer ranges, and even flying (up in the air) objects. These are usually 'Trick exhibition shooters', like Jerry Micalek. Bob

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Point Shooting is good for close up shooting for me, but some people can do it at longer ranges, and even flying (up in the air) objects. These are usually 'Trick exhibition shooters', like Jerry Micalek. Bob
This was only 10-12 feet, in past years ~7 yards was fairly commonplace in .45 auto, in .38 Super, ~12 yards, did double taps on kicked up 2 liter bottles about one third of the time. One of our instructors from the Bureau put on clay shooting exhibitions with his snub carry .38... :)

·
Registered
21,497 Posts
My 'groups' tend to widen, if I don't practice. I haven't practiced in many moons, due to COVID. The range is back open...................but I don't trust many nubee's at the range. They usually don't care if they have symtoms or not. Ya' gotta' watch out!!!! Bob

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
With little pocket J frames, there isnt time to establish a good sight picture when you need it now. I have practiced point shooting with mine and do pretty good out to around 12 to 15 feet

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Point shooting + full or partial mag dumps (depends on the gun) = my favorite drill (until the ammo supply dried up).

5 and 7 yards. I go for head shots on a B-27E target.

·
Registered
21,497 Posts
I wouldn't recommend head shots when you're point shooting. It's a smaller target, and it would be easier to miss. This opens up the possablility of hitting an unintended person, far in the background. I always go for center of mass. It's a bigger target!

Of course, you're only shooting at a target......not an actual person. But, you practice for...... shooting an actual person. Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,083 Posts
It's essential to train for point shooting. With enough regular repetition and training, your muscle memory takes over....

"Sights? We don't need no stinkin' sights..."

A friend that I teach with spent 25 years full time in SWAT operations in a large midwest city. He can point shoot into a paper plate at 30 feet. It's remarkable to watch him operate.....

We teach point shooting in our Concealed Carry qualifications course. We also teach draw from a holster. These are not state requirements, but we feel that they are essential for competent concealed carry.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
I wouldn't recommend head shots when you're point shooting. It's a smaller target, and it would be easier to miss. This opens up the possablility of hitting an unintended person, far in the background. I always go for center of mass. It's a bigger target!

Of course, you're only shooting at a target......not an actual person. But, you practice for...... shooting an actual person. Bob
Of course you shoot for center of mass in real life. I'm shooting targets at the indoor range. Because of my height at 5-7 yards I'd be shooting at the floor going for center mass (a big no-no). I save that part of the target for my 5'3" wife.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts