Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Pocket positive .32 police ctg

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  msharley 
#1 ·
Hi all!

Wondering if there is any info you can give me on the above listed revolver? Age confirmation? Ammo needed? The barrel says just pocket positive 32 police ctg. All wooden handle. Looking to see if it fires just .32 s&w long or .32-20 WCF? Or both. I'm about to pick it up in a few weeks, but it was an uncles and there isn't much info from him on it.... serial number 1276xx I believe built in 1917. Any info would be great especially for the needed ammo.....
Metal Tan Cylinder Shotgun Air gun

See less See more
#2 ·
Colt's name for the .32 Long. NOT .32-20.
Nice Police Positive. :) You'd probably get more info on the Colt forum.

#6 ·
I've seen a few of these Pocket Positives that were chambered for the Colt heeled bullet cartridge but agree that his is chambered for the 32 S&W Long. It doesn't help that Colt was inconsistent with their barrel markings. I had a old Police Positive that was stamped Colt New Police. Other guns were only marked Police, like the OPs, or simply CNP.
They are a nice little revolver.

John

#7 ·
I've seen a few of these Pocket Positives that were chambered for the Colt heeled bullet cartridge but agree that his is chambered for the 32 S&W Long. It doesn't help that Colt was inconsistent with their barrel markings. I had a old Police Positive that was stamped Colt New Police. Other guns were only marked Police, like the OPs, or simply CNP.
They are a nice little revolver.

John
The part of your post I underlined always gives me a chuckle. :) Is it any wonder that folks get confused! :giggle:

There is a vintage Colt .32 revolver sitting on consignment at my most local gun shop. The thing is a jewel in perfect condition except no original box and non-factory grips. Asking price is sky high, but it had been sitting there so long that I started to take an interest. First we had to figure out what it was. It turned out to be a Colt New Police. (y)

I did my research and it turns out that prices are all over the map. :oops: Hard for me, as an S&W collector, to figure out if it would be a good investment or not... but the fact that it had been sitting there so long without even one bite all this time told me to be very, very careful. ;) God bless the Colt collectors who can figure that stuff out off the tops of their heads. (y)

#9 ·
Hey Pumpkin,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go! Pics of that fine PONY from yesteryear!

Later, Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.