Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I really enjoy the "N" frame 45 ACP revolver. But, I also like C&B revolvers. These would have been the "J" frames of the day. These all all built by Uberti between 1978 and 2007. While offered in barrel lengths from 3" to 6 1/2", I prefer the 5 1/2 and 6 1/2" tubes. They are small but they balance well.

004.JPG

Kevin

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Very cool, Kevin. Do you shoot them much?

Many years ago I used to shoot a lot of Black Powder C&B's..........it's great fun............a lot of work and dirty too..........chuckle. These days I'm lazy and shoot cartridges.........smile

I still have one C&B.............it's a .44............I haven't burned any powder in it since I can't remember when.

A year or so ago there was an outfit that made some "Howda's"...........if I run into any of those in my travels, it just may follow me home.

Thanks for sharing amigo,

Geezer

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ogg,

Some of them get out more frequently than others. The one with the smooth stag grips is a favorite from many years ago. Long story but it won a spot in my shooting box. I have a lot of C&B revolvers and shooting them reminds me of when I first started shooting in the 60s. Back then, the replica industry was in it's infancy and we shot originals. They were less money than the Italian copies, at least for a while.

I have carried all 8 at one time, usually to make a point about how some one can or can not carry this or that undetected. I answer by removing first one, then the next, etc. Usually by #4 they are getting quiet and by #8, they really don't know what to say.

I was teaching a class on pat-downs. All eight plus a couple of "J" frames and the trainees were lucky to find 6.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On another forum, a fellow mentioned he preferred the straight cylinder of a Pocket Navy over the half fluted Pocket Police. I happen to own both so swapped to show him what it looked like.

003.JPG

I do like the clean lines it presents this way. Without anything for scale, it looks much like an 1860.

Here with an 1860.

006.JPG

It makes me wonder if any of the Pocket Police models ever left the factory with a Pocket Navy cylinder?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Had several C&B revolvers 40 plus years ago. Getting back into it first a rifle, like to get a" New Army" nest. Bill

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I bought an 1849 Wells Fargo and picked up a .32 S&W conversion cylinder for it ($50, barely used).
Still fun to shoot and nowhere near as messy

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here and wanted to say how much I like those.

I always thought the 1862 Pocket Police was the best looking BP revolver, and maybe the best looking gun of the 19th century. And I know that's saying a little bit.

I've had other models, but never one of these I like best. It's just not a model I see around. I know they can be ordered easy enough, but I would like to do a least some comparing.

Does anyone have an opinion on a brand to get? I know most, if not all, come from the same place, but has anyone felt they are finished any better for one retailer in the US than another?

EDIT: I'm only a couple of hours from Friendship but haven't been in years. Maybe it's time

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here and wanted to say how much I like those.
Thank you!

I always thought the 1862 Pocket Police was the best looking BP revolver, and maybe the best looking gun of the 19th century. And I know that's saying a little bit.
I believe the same thing, probably why I have a couple of them.

Does anyone have an opinion on a brand to get? I know most, if not all, come from the same place, but has anyone felt they are finished any better for one retailer in the US than another?
The only company that currently makes a correct copy of the Pocket Navy or the Pocket Police is Uberti. ASM used to make a copy but they are long out of business. THe revolver that Pietta calls the 1862 is merely a short barreled 1861. The Uberti version is built on the smaller frame of the 31 caliber Pocket revolvers and utilizes the rebated frame and enlarged cylinder, as did the original Colt product. They are also 5 shot revolvers. The Pietta is built on the larger belt frame and is a six shooter.

I really like the little 36s. The only 36 caliber revolver with any recoil!

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts