Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys -- I have a S&W 442 on the way to me. It is a pocket gun with just under a 2 inch barrel. This is my first pocket gun and have a few questions. I have read a few places that a leather holster can scratch your gun and as they get older can become hard to use. What type of pocket holster could you recommend? Any other tidbits of info would be appreciated. Here is a stock photo of it.
S&W442.jpeg

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I stick mine in my pocket. Period. I don't care about wear but I do watch for excess lint buildup. Not that it has ever failed to go BOOM when I need it to though...

·
Premium Member
11,539 Posts
ALWAYS carry in a holster that covers the trigger guard. No exceptions. It's a basic safety issue.

Some like the sleeve style pocket holsters. Others like leather holsters. The blued surface of the gun is hard, but it can be eventually worn. Lots of draw cycles will do it. You can get lined holsters that have less friction on the inside, but they are also thicker.

This search will show you some:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=442+pocket+holster&i=sporting&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

My personal choice has gone to the Inside the Waistband Kydex holsters. They fit properly, have positive retention and you can easily re-holster with one hand.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I agree with mrerick. I always use a pocket holster to carry either a 642 or a Mod 37. A good holster helps to keep the pistol lint-free and in the same position in my pocket. I have trouble with my pistol trying to turn in my pocket, burying the stocks into the side of my pocket. That makes a good draw very difficult! Hank

·
Registered
15,124 Posts
My Snakeslayer is smaller and packs a larger punch..... Much larger.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I think the general idea is to keep me from blowing a hole in my leg on the draw, particularly if the piece hangs up and I’m struggling with it. Hank
Are you using a spur-trigger revolver? Otherwise, seems easy to me to keep my finger outside the trigger-guard. In fact, there's no reason to have your finger on the trigger until you're ready to pull it--that's the MOST "basic safety issue."

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I agree! My index finger rests on the flat portion of the frame where the 4-line address is located. Not everyone is as well disciplined as we are! Hank

·
Registered
140 Posts
Blackhawk #8 pocket holster for my S&W Bodyguard .38+P EDC.

Reactions: Curt360 and Bob K

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I had a leather Bianchi pocket holster, but it was much too bulky for me. It filled my pocket, creating a bulge......(that was a "pistol in my pocket"! May West) I got a cheap nylon Blackhawk holster for $10, simple, light, it's just a padded sleeve type holster......but I like it better! It's more comfortable too. It holds up good, but for $10....you can buy another. Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I found one I like from your link mrerick. As they say south of the border.....Muchas Gracias

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Guys -- I have a S&W 442 on the way to me. It is a pocket gun with just under a 2 inch barrel. This is my first pocket gun and have a few questions. I have read a few places that a leather holster can scratch your gun and as they get older can become hard to use. What type of pocket holster could you recommend? Any other tidbits of info would be appreciated. Here is a stock photo of it. View attachment 471209
Eventually any holster will show wear but it's no big deal and will have no effect on the operation of the firearm. I have two and they are great.. A little wear makes it yours..

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've been carrying a Rugar 380 LCP II came with a pocket holster that I am comfortable with,but would like to carry my 340PD. Like the look of the 1791 Fair Chase BeAalog has

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Guys -- I have a S&W 442 on the way to me. It is a pocket gun with just under a 2 inch barrel. This is my first pocket gun and have a few questions. I have read a few places that a leather holster can scratch your gun and as they get older can become hard to use. What type of pocket holster could you recommend? Any other tidbits of info would be appreciated. Here is a stock photo of it. View attachment 471209
It is a nice pocket gun, I have one just like it only with a different grip set up.

I use two different grips on mine.
1. DeSantis Clip Grip - This grip has a clip built into the right panel that catches on your belt for IWB carry. It is a full grip that fills your hand, like yours.
2. Barami Clip Grip with a Tyler T grip adapter. Very old school set up.

Anyway, both of these grips are close and slim enough that I can still pocket carry with them on the revolver.

You will find that your 442 is so light you can carry it clipped onto the waistband of sweat pants or gym shorts. That's where the Clip Grip really adds flexibility to your revolver carry options.
I even carry mine in the pocket of my bathrobe when I'm lounging around the estate.

I'm afraid that most days I'm a no holster guy.
Yes, I smile and nod when I get advice from a striker fired, plastic pistol guy. I'm not knocking what and why they carry what they carry. Truth be known, a light trigger pull defensive weapon without a manual safety scares the bejezus out of me for a lot of reasons that I won't go into. The advice about keeping that front pocket clear of anything but gun is very sound advice that I would endorse myself. You will find that your revolver has a long and deliberate DAO trigger pull. When you learn how to master a revolver trigger you will be a leg up on anyone who starts out with a semi-auto set up.

Now, POCKET and GUN are two separate words. Naturally, with our end in mind, we always begin our quest with the gun first...it has to fit in the pocket...dig?
So, we naturally choose a short barreled pistol with a stubby grip and danged near impossible to see sights. Next we pick the caliber as a sort of compromise, again we place the premium on size, and then we consider capacity. I believe that .38spl is perfectly acceptable as a defensive round, same with 9mm. I also believe that 5 rounds in a J-frame will get the job done, if like all of the gun writers always add, "If I do my part". When you add the "If I do my part" to the pistol that you have selected because it fits in your pocket....yes, that is the ditch you see there looming just outside of the driver's window. Oh, wait a minute, did I add that I want this mini-cannon to be light weight too?

Let me take a side track for a minute to tell you about this fantastic pistol that I set myself up with once. After much reading and research I discovered the S&W model 337. This revolver of days gone by was heralded at the time of production as "the lightest .38 spl revolver made". It was a J-frame with a scandium frame and a titanium cylinder. This little hand grenade weighed in at 11.2oz. It was rated for +p ammo too. Summing up the experience of shooting this revolver was intense to say the least. All of my good trigger discipline was out the window after the first shot. The second shot was like blink, flinch, and yank. After the second round I unloaded the revolver and put it back in the range bag. I knew right then that if I was ever to hit anything with this little revolver I would have to have the muzzle buried in the target when I yanked the trigger. It was a desperate, last ditch pistol and yes, I am man enough to admit it, too much pistol for me to shoot well.

If that little 337 was my first and only attempt at carrying a pistol? It would probably have earned a place in my sock drawer and I would have given up on the idea of carrying a revolver for self defense.
I honestly believe that punishing, hard to shoot well, little pistols are the sole reason that many give up before they get started with CCW. I know that if I had asked my wife to fire that 337, I'd still be in the dog house.

But suppose for a minute we begin the equation at the beginning, the first word...POCKET. Suppose we set about trying to find a POCKET that could comfortably carry a pistol that we are already deadly with?

Listen, it took me decades to begin to think like this. I'm a stubborn square headed Dutchman. I'm not lecturing anyone on their selection of pistols or holsters. I'm not judging anyone's experience levels either. I'm just offering a view back over my shoulder of the journey that I made in finding a comfortable, effective solution to pocket carrying a pistol for self defense.

Duluth Trading Company Fire Hose Cargo Pants.
Yeah, I see the same TV commercials that you do. I looked at the price of a new pair of their pants and knew that with my budget it was too expensive for an experiment. At that beginning moment I didn't have a clue of what I would be in-store for. I was going to buy a used pair from an e-Bay auction...dead man pants. When they came in I was immediately impressed with the weight of the fabric and the quality and comfort of the fit. Then I dropped my right hand down into the front pocket.....There is a small muzzle pocket in there! Sewn in down in the bottom of the right front pocket...are you kidding me?

At the time I was carrying a Colt's Commander IWB everyday. I reached over to the table and picked up that 1911 Commander and dropped it down into that cargo pocket. The muzzle fit right down into the small pocket like it was custom tailored. Needless to say, I am deadly with that 1911 and now I have just discovered how I could carry it in my pocket.

Excuse my rambling....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is a nice pocket gun, I have one just like it only with a different grip set up.

I use two different grips on mine.
1. DeSantis Clip Grip - This grip has a clip built into the right panel that catches on your belt for IWB carry. It is a full grip that fills your hand, like yours.
2. Barami Clip Grip with a Tyler T grip adapter. Very old school set up.

Anyway, both of these grips are close and slim enough that I can still pocket carry with them on the revolver.

You will find that your 442 is so light you can carry it clipped onto the waistband of sweat pants or gym shorts. That's where the Clip Grip really adds flexibility to your revolver carry options.
I even carry mine in the pocket of my bathrobe when I'm lounging around the estate.

I'm afraid that most days I'm a no holster guy.
Yes, I smile and nod when I get advice from a striker fired, plastic pistol guy. I'm not knocking what and why they carry what they carry. Truth be known, a light trigger pull defensive weapon without a manual safety scares the bejezus out of me for a lot of reasons that I won't go into. The advice about keeping that front pocket clear of anything but gun is very sound advice that I would endorse myself. You will find that your revolver has a long and deliberate DAO trigger pull. When you learn how to master a revolver trigger you will be a leg up on anyone who starts out with a semi-auto set up.

Now, POCKET and GUN are two separate words. Naturally, with our end in mind, we always begin our quest with the gun first...it has to fit in the pocket...dig?
So, we naturally choose a short barreled pistol with a stubby grip and danged near impossible to see sights. Next we pick the caliber as a sort of compromise, again we place the premium on size, and then we consider capacity. I believe that .38spl is perfectly acceptable as a defensive round, same with 9mm. I also believe that 5 rounds in a J-frame will get the job done, if like all of the gun writers always add, "If I do my part". When you add the "If I do my part" to the pistol that you have selected because it fits in your pocket....yes, that is the ditch you see there looming just outside of the driver's window. Oh, wait a minute, did I add that I want this mini-cannon to be light weight too?

Let me take a side track for a minute to tell you about this fantastic pistol that I set myself up with once. After much reading and research I discovered the S&W model 337. This revolver of days gone by was heralded at the time of production as "the lightest .38 spl revolver made". It was a J-frame with a scandium frame and a titanium cylinder. This little hand grenade weighed in at 11.2oz. It was rated for +p ammo too. Summing up the experience of shooting this revolver was intense to say the least. All of my good trigger discipline was out the window after the first shot. The second shot was like blink, flinch, and yank. After the second round I unloaded the revolver and put it back in the range bag. I knew right then that if I was ever to hit anything with this little revolver I would have to have the muzzle buried in the target when I yanked the trigger. It was a desperate, last ditch pistol and yes, I am man enough to admit it, too much pistol for me to shoot well.

If that little 337 was my first and only attempt at carrying a pistol? It would probably have earned a place in my sock drawer and I would have given up on the idea of carrying a revolver for self defense.
I honestly believe that punishing, hard to shoot well, little pistols are the sole reason that many give up before they get started with CCW. I know that if I had asked my wife to fire that 337, I'd still be in the dog house.

But suppose for a minute we begin the equation at the beginning, the first word...POCKET. Suppose we set about trying to find a POCKET that could comfortably carry a pistol that we are already deadly with?

Listen, it took me decades to begin to think like this. I'm a stubborn square headed Dutchman. I'm not lecturing anyone on their selection of pistols or holsters. I'm not judging anyone's experience levels either. I'm just offering a view back over my shoulder of the journey that I made in finding a comfortable, effective solution to pocket carrying a pistol for self defense.

Duluth Trading Company Fire Hose Cargo Pants.
Yeah, I see the same TV commercials that you do. I looked at the price of a new pair of their pants and knew that with my budget it was too expensive for an experiment. At that beginning moment I didn't have a clue of what I would be in-store for. I was going to buy a used pair from an e-Bay auction...dead man pants. When they came in I was immediately impressed with the weight of the fabric and the quality and comfort of the fit. Then I dropped my right hand down into the front pocket.....There is a small muzzle pocket in there! Sewn in down in the bottom of the right front pocket...are you kidding me?

At the time I was carrying a Colt's Commander IWB everyday. I reached over to the table and picked up that 1911 Commander and dropped it down into that cargo pocket. The muzzle fit right down into the small pocket like it was custom tailored. Needless to say, I am deadly with that 1911 and now I have just discovered how I could carry it in my pocket.

Excuse my rambling....
Good Info. Thanks for "rambling".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts