Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
A few month's back I was cleaning out my father's things, mostly just clothes that had been dumped into boxes and moved into storage until I felt ok to deal with them. He passed awhile before that and I had only gone through his more urgent things until then. While going through a box of what must have been an entire dresser drawer that got dumped into a box (we had only a few days to pack up his belongings), I found his favorite .22 revolver wrapped in a tshirt.

I remember this pistol well. I grew up in Vermont. Every time, from as early as I can remember, whenever we went into the woods, he had this on his hip. Sometimes we'd shoot it in the gravel pit behind the house, or he'd take it out after a racoon getting into the trash. He had many other guns, and I recovered them all, but this one I'd been unhappy I couldn't find originally. I don't know when he got it, but I know he had it my entire childhood.

On another forum some folks tried to identify it but suggested I check over here. The serial # is 646424.

Any information would be appreciated. It has some rust spots on it that I've decided I'm not going to have refinished. I hit it with a light oil rubbed on the rust spots so they won't get worse. I fired it a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly, as it always did, even with 30+ year old ammo.

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
Welcome

looks like a K22 Outdoorsman.. have to check the book for a date - but pre-WW2 by that single line 'made in the usa'
near the middle of the series - so mid 1930's - some one may have a closer date.
Those grips are correct for the gun..

K22 Outdoorsman - 1st model. Made between 1931-1940, approx 20K made, in the serial number range 632124 - 682914

very nice piece, and a sought after version. Few of us would be in favor of a re-finish..

@Hillman

Super Moderator
I can鈥檛 see the pics but I can offer that I have one with a serial in the 671K area and it lettered to 1938

Premium Member
You've got a keeper there. Priceless indeed. Wonderful shooting revolver.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I was very happy to find it and will hold on to it hopefully until my son grows up, and give it to him. The only real flaw on it is on one side of the barrel. Otherwise just minor pitting and surface rust that I've been able to gently remove.

Registered
I removed rust with an all copper penny and penetrating oil fro a different brand gun. A brass brush and oil might work too.

Reactions: msharley

Registered
Greetings mate shoot it in good health and priceless memories..

Thewelshm

Registered
Hey H,

Welcome to S&W.

Way to go! Pics of your Dad's K 22 on the first post!

The copper "Chore Boy" (NOT STEEL) or a penny....and ATF will work wonders.

Later, Mark

Registered
Hey H,

Welcome to S&W.

Way to go! Pics of your Dad's K 22 on the first post!

The copper "Chore Boy" (NOT STEEL) or a penny....and ATF will work wonders.

Later, Mark
Some Chore boy is copper plated steel. Check it with a magnet.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I've owned a few revolvers over the years, but I'll tell you, none of them have had such a smooth, unique feel as when I pulled the hammer back on this when I found it. I was immediately taken back 30 years to the gravel pit behind the house, when I felt that gentle click of the hammer locking back. Thanks for all the replies.

Oh, on the other forum, someone suggested this might be a 22/40, but I can't really find any further info on what the difference is or how I could tell. I sent in the application for the letter from S&W weeks ago but I'm impatient for info.

Registered
I was the first response post on this thread yesterday and >>>>>>>NOW IT"S GONE...........so much for the new and improved-----------------------

Registered
Your post contained midget tossing, and crocheted pink hat images. Someone flagged your post. 馃悁

Registered
All the methods above will work, BUT. Buy yourself some fine bronze wool and some PB blaster. Gentle is the word here. You came out a double winner.Enjoy.
Cliff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts