Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across a friend of mine who has a smith and wesson model 29-1 all of the lettering is in red including the s&w emblem I have never seen a pistol like it it is in new in original box with serial numbers AV022xx the only thing I have found is that the 29-1 was only made one year I could not find any pictures to compare can someone please help explain red letters and possible value I could not find any signs it has ever been shot He bought it years ago and put it up in the safe thank you for any info you can provide

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Not much mystery. Someone took red paint, wiped it into the logo and rollmarks and wiped the excess off.
Easy way to "doll up" a gun. First I've heard of red, it's usually white or gold. Acetone will take it off and the return the gun to as it left the factory.

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
I have seen red lettering once on a revolver. White, gold or silver were more popular and yes it is most likely paint or nail polish

·
Registered
685 Posts
The 29-1 guns would have an "S" prefix serial with six digits. Where is the number cited above? Sounds like an assembly number rather than a serial number. Dash one guns were made for a short period and command a premium from collectors.

In the 1970's it was a "fad" to inlay the stampings with color. Usually it was done with a grease pencil. Some of the larger gun sales companies offered kits to color the inlays.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not much mystery. Someone took red paint, wiped it into the logo and rollmarks and wiped the excess off.
Easy way to "doll up" a gun. First I've heard of red, it's usually white or gold. Acetone will take it off and the return the gun to as it left the factory.
+1

·
Registered
16,923 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Post pics of the gun as that will help also identify it. The serial number is on the bottom of the grip frame.

·
Premium Member
18,486 Posts
This is what a Model 29 looks like. The one pictured is a more recent Model 29-10 but it still looks like the older ones except for the grips. A Model 29-1 in excellent condition is valued at $4000 per the 4th Edition of the Standard Catalog. That is several years old now and it may be more. If he has the box, dox and tools and it in nickel or have a 5" barrel, the sky is the limit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts