Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I'm working on a new holster pattern called the Lone Star. It's based on holster styles common around Austin, Texas, popular in the 1920s & 1930s, but made up into the 1960s. While I can make old west holsters in my sleep, I'm not that familiar with more modern revolvers. I have some specific questions that need accurate answers, to make patterns that work well for the gun owners who will use these holsters.

Some of my questions are specific to S&W, others are relative to S&W.

#1. Is the S&W N Frame (example, Model 29/Dirty Harry), and the Colt Anaconda frame the same size?

#2. Is the S&W K Frame and the old Colt Trooper, and/or Colt King Cobra, the same frame size?

I realize these are complicated questions that often generate conflicting answers. So if you have weapons that can be compared for proof-positive of your responses, that would be VERY helpful.

Thank You in advance,
Will

·
Premium Member
13,688 Posts
When I saw your title "Pistol Rame Sizes" I was trying to figure out what this thread is about... PistolRama?

Finally realized you're trying to determine pistol frame sizes for holster making.

There are very minor differences in the shapes (not just the sizes) of the different brand guns, even in similar sizes.

The best approach would probably be to get the dense plastic "Blue Guns" we use for teaching practice, and using them to get your measurements and do test fittings of actual holsters. I'm not positive, but they might even be useful for molding holster leather to exact size.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I saw your title "Pistol Rame Sizes" I was trying to figure out what this thread is about... PistolRama?

Finally realized you're trying to determine pistol frame sizes for holster making.

There are very minor differences in the shapes (not just the sizes) of the different brand guns, even in similar sizes.

The best approach would probably be to get the dense plastic "Blue Guns" we use for teaching practice, and using them to get your measurements and do test fittings of actual holsters. I'm not positive, but they might even be useful for molding holster leather to exact size.
Thanks MRE Rick,

I've got a new wireless keyboard that automatically shuts off to save batteries, and a very light key stroke (manual non-electric typewriters were the only thing around when I was learning to type), and I still like to bang on the keys. Between the automatic power-down and the light keys, I'm like a gorilla. But I did go back and correct the typo so no one else gets confused.

Hundreds of dollars can be spent on blueguns and I already have hundreds of dollar's worth. But spending money on blueguns out of ignorance is costly when you can ask experts and not waste money. That's the direction I'm going here. But thanks for reaching out!

Will

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Smith Wesson and Colt do not use the same frame size of designations . Colt is in a world of its own . Closest thing is the Python is simular to the L frame 686 series. but the sizes do not line up ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Layne12gun.

I'm looking for specific information. For instance, the old Ruger Vaquero is similar in frame silhouette to the Colt 1873 SAA, but requires an extra 1/2" of leather in circumference to make the holster (I don't expect anyone other than a holster maker to know that). While the new Ruger Vaquero is so similar in dimension to the 1873 SAA, the holster fit is identical.

I'm fishing for information like a fellow on a Colt forum was able to provide. His example was that a S&W K Frame and cylinder are slightly smaller than the Colt D Frame while the silhouette looked the same. The K Frames would be loose in a D Frame holster, and a D Frame wouldn't fit in a K Frame holster.

Another example would be the S&W J Frame snub nose and the Ruger SP101 2.25" barrel have the same frame and trigger guard dimensions and fit in the same holsters with the only variation being barrel length. While the Ruger LCR (looking more similar to the S&W J Frame), has both a larger frame and larger trigger guard and will not fit in the same holster.

That's the type of information I'm gathering. It will allow me to make holster patterns where gun owners will know specifically what pattern in the pattern pack will fit their gun (if any).

Thank you for your time and effort in contributing your insights.

Will

·
Registered
30,089 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
21,325 Posts
Well......you could buy one of each gun......it would make a sizable collection. 😄 BTW, those are very nice looking holsters in that picture. Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bob!

The J Frame covers a sizeable portion of weapons needing holsters. The K Frame essentially covers the L Frame as well (if I'm sorting the information correctly). Add a N Frame to the mix and it seems to me most of the S&W out there are covered...

I have a J, K, and borrowed a N (but really want my own Model 25), I just need to cross reference them with other manufacturer's models for compatibility. It's a daunting task. But I'm slowly making headway.

Will

1 - 11 of 11 Posts