Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When we got married 15 years ago, I bought my wife a new entry level, quality basic sewing machine. She used it 3 times a year and was happy as a clam. We made some new friends at a new church, my wife retired, and she and her new friend started sewing seriously. My wife is a raw rookie, Linda is a Master level sewer.

So there are two quilting projects at the Sewing Store where I bought her first machine. Linda says she will help -- OK great. After 14 months the "Blue Quilt" is finished, the original sewing machine is worn out, and there is now a "just like new" sewing machine on eBay (it is 20+ years old and looks brand new).

The total cost of materials, additional fabric / cloth, supplies, and outside services to "quilt" the Blue Quilt is just over $750. 50% of the cost of the eBay sewing machine is $740. The new moveable sewing cabinet / cutting board topped out at $765 with a the custom order counter top.

The moral of this tale of wild domestic spending on infrastructure and necessities is that with a little extra it could have been 3 new to me S&W revolvers. But I did buy happiness for my wife , and now there are two family heirlooms to pass on. I've heard conversations about the next sewing project. "Have you seen that new computerized embroidery sewing machine? It will be On Sale for only $8,500.00"

EDIT: She is frantically working on Quilt #3 as I type. I'm glad I'm 10 years older than Terri. Someone else will deal with the 'heirlooms'. We like our winter time sweatshirts, flannel shirts, and sweat pants but this quilt thing is accelerating rapidly. This is my second experience with a sewer. I know accessories. We have an agreement: I don't sew, she doesn't reload. My 500# of lead takes less floor space than yards of fabric!

EDIT #2: Third quilt cover was sewn by 11:00 PM the day I posted this thread. Now I posted her pictures of the first 2 quilts. The quilts are 95" SQUARE and made from 2-1/2" right triangles sewn together. The blue quilt was ONE 12" square per month that took her 14 months to complete. Quilt #2 was sewn during the same time, but took 13 months to complete -- 2-1/2" triangles and 12" squares. Both quilts have strips of fabric between large squares and about a 4" border on the outside edge.

I am very proud of what my wife has made in the past year. I have never seen her so determined to complete a project.

Property Furniture Azure Textile Building

Blue Rectangle Wood Purple Door

· Registered
48,716 Posts
When we got married 15 years ago, I bought my wife a new entry level, quality basic sewing machine. She used it 3 times a year and was happy as a clam. We made some new friends at a new church, my wife retired, and she and her new friend started sewing seriously. My wife is a raw rookie, Linda is a Master level sewer.

So there are two quilting projects at the Sewing Store where I bought her first machine. Linda says she will help -- OK great. After 14 months the "Blue Quilt" is finished, the original sewing machine is worn out, and there is now a "just like new" sewing machine on eBay (it is 20+ years old and looks brand new).

The total cost of materials, additional fabric / cloth, supplies, and outside services to "quilt" the Blue Quilt is just over $750. 50% of the cost of the eBay sewing machine is $740. The new moveable sewing cabinet / cutting board topped out at $765 with a the custom order counter top.

The moral of this tale of wild domestic spending on infrastructure and necessities is that with a little extra it could have been 3 new to me S&W revolvers. But I did buy happiness for my wife , and now there are two family heirlooms to pass on. I've heard conversations about the next sewing project. "Have you seen that new computerized embroidery sewing machine? It will be On Sale for only $8,500.00"
You haven't seen my wife's jewelry making room - the industrial work tables alone are almost $2K; the raw materials from all over the world are over $25K; the finished goods inventory equal to raw materials but she bitches if I want a custom shotgun for $12K................................huh.....................

Reactions: Chester and Curt360

· Registered
469 Posts

I feel your pain, brother. My wife has not one but two of the computerized sewing/serging/embroidery machines! In addition, I designed a special "sewing cabinet" for her that has a flip open top for cutting out patterns. She has completely filled up one bedroom in our house and is now threatening to "expand" into another bedroom! That is where I finally put my foot down and said "NO"! Instead, I made her clean out the existing sewing room so that she can have room for future sewing projects. In comparison, my little safe full of firearms only takes up about 4-5 square feet of room in my closet with everything neatly put away and locked up! If I tried to expand my hobby to take up all the spare room in the master bedroom she would have a first class "hissy fit"! Life goes on!

· Registered
1,805 Posts
How much did your boat and tackle cost to catch your fish? ... hmmmmm?

· Registered
1,901 Posts
The moral of this tale of wild domestic spending on infrastructure and necessities is that with a little extra it could have been 3 new to me S&W revolvers.
Put in perspective, some people go on a cruise (or used to before COVID) once a year or even more often, spending many thousands of dollars each time for a few days of "fun" and those midnight buffets. With guns, ammo, sewing machines and supplies, you and your wife have permanent, easily repeatable, enjoyment, for less total money.

· Registered
48,716 Posts
Put in perspective, some people go on a cruise (or used to before COVID) once a year or even more often, spending many thousands of dollars each time for a few days of "fun" and those midnight buffets. With guns, ammo, sewing machines and supplies, you and your wife have permanent, easily repeatable, enjoyment, for less total money.
My wife and I are glad we did the 15 cruises we did. LOTS of great memories of new and exciting places we got to visit and experience first hand. Worth every penny we spent

Reactions: edcat57

· Registered
929 Posts
You haven't seen my wife's jewelry making room - the industrial work tables alone are almost $2K; the raw materials from all over the world are over $25K; the finished goods inventory equal to raw materials but she bitches if I want a custom shotgun for $12K................................huh.....................
When it comes to $$$$$, What's yours is hers; what hers is hers. ;)

· Registered
171 Posts
Only, $8,500? You lucky dog. Then there are the accessories. Tools. Books. Heavy plastic squares, triangles and shapes of all sizes (reminds me of geometry class). Perhaps a few classes at the store where the real goal is to teach her how to use that fancy new accessory or add on gadget for that nice new machine. And the cloth...a yard or two of this "cute" pattern and this really nice fabric and this and that. And "Fat Squares?"

Yupper, been there and still doing that (she is that is). But she enjoys it and eventually we or the kids get a very nice quilt.

· Registered
5,772 Posts
My late Mother in Law was an expert quilter. We have several that she and her quilting group made.

What they did during those cold Wisconsin Winters. She did all kinds of crafts. My Wife and her Sisters have the talents as well Bunch of Crafty Women!:)

· Registered
4,778 Posts
A friend took his wife out to a nice restaurant and had 2 very nice meals and a couple drinks each and when the bill it was about $100. My friend was quite up set and told his wife that that meal cost 1/8 the cost of an M1 Garand (which he had several and wanted more). Needless to say she was less than impressed. Happy Wife Happy Life.

· Registered
48,716 Posts
A friend took his wife out to a nice restaurant and had 2 very nice meals and a couple drinks each and when the bill it was about $100. My friend was quite up set and told his wife that that meal cost 1/8 the cost of an M1 Garand (which he had several and wanted more). Needless to say she was less than impressed. Happy Wife Happy Life.
When my wife and I go out, it is never less than $100 even for wings or some raw oysters abd a few beers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.