Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the gun shop today to pay off a couple of guns that I shipped out, and I decided that since I have to wait until Monday to get the gun put on my permit, to take a couple of photos. Don't judge the old girl too much by her finish, because the action is like butter on polished brass. The bore is excellent. The stag grips actually look so much better in person. They are older, but they were very well done so I am going to keep them (given my liking for stag grips anyway). The serial # puts her in the 1914 range, but I did send a letter out to Roy Jinks (you just have to letter a Triple Lock). She might not be the best looking girl at the ball, but with the bore and action like it is, I really can't wait to see how well she can dance.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Anticipation is a killer isn't it....?
nice looking t-lock....and as for.." She might not be the best looking girl at the ball " keep in mind she's around 95 years old....and looking pretty good for her age.....

oh and on a side note.......I'm jealous as all get out...... a .44 t-lock is on my short list klgasilBRVO

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Its always great to see it when someone picks up a gun most others wouldn't give a 2nd glance to, take it home and fire it up again. The grips, elk maybe?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Don't judge the old girl too much by her finish, because the action is like butter on polished brass. The bore is excellent.

Hello Dave
That is a Neat Triple Lock you have there. If the finish Bother's you, I would suggest sending her Off to Ford's in Florida. They do excellent work in Nickel or Blued finish's and it would come back looking like new again. Here is a Link to their Web Page price list, and should you decided to get it refinished, let me know as I can save you 10% on your refinishing needs. They have done several for me in Blued and Nickel in the Past and all of them came out super...I hope this helps, Hammerdown

http://www.fordsguns.com/index2-1.htm

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's a nice triple lock, I looked at her my self (recognise the handwriting on the hang tag) Had I had the cash in my pocket would have come home with me.

My idea was the gun is just right for a restoration, is that what you have in mind ?

Boats

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the thought of refinishing the gun, but I am going to wait on the letter from Roy Jinks first. I sent that out as soon as the gun came in and I had checked the gun over. My personal opinion is that a blued Triple Lock is gorgeous, but having seen what Ford's can do, I might have them renickle the gun.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
David,

This is an old discussion, and some don't agree, but you should think long and hard about refinishing that New Century.

It may show every day of it's nearly 100 years in service, but it is a historic relic and unique in it's appearance. There are a very finite few Triple Locks left in original condition, and because of that, they are desirable in any condition.

Reblued, repolished, renickled guns have no more character than a new-in-the-catalog Model 21 reissue.

It may sound like romantic drivel, but you are now the caretaker of that fine old Smith and it's history as well. It had a long road before it got to you. When you pass it on, whether it's sooner or later, the next person who has it may well appreciate the fact that you preserved it in it's current condition which pays honor to probably many lifetimes of service.

On a pragmatic point, you will not increase the guns value by altering it... the money you spend to rework it will never be recovered. Even worse, a modern refinished gun will be worth less than it is in it's current state.

These are the facts of life from a collector's standpoint and I wish you would take them into consideration when you decide what to do.

Drew

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Sebago Son said:
David,

This is an old discussion, and some don't agree, but you should think long and hard about refinishing that New Century.

It may show every day of it's nearly 100 years in service, but it is a historic relic and unique in it's appearance. There are a very finite few Triple Locks left in original condition, and because of that, they are desirable in any condition.

Reblued, repolished, renickled guns have no more character than a new-in-the-catalog Model 21 reissue.

It may sound like romantic drivel, but you are now the caretaker of that fine old Smith and it's history as well. It had a long road before it got to you. When you pass it on, whether it's sooner or later, the next person who has it may well appreciate the fact that you preserved it in it's current condition which pays honor to probably many lifetimes of service.

On a pragmatic point, you will not increase the guns value by altering it... the money you spend to rework it will never be recovered. Even worse, a modern refinished gun will be worth less than it is in it's current state.

These are the facts of life from a collector's standpoint and I wish you would take them into consideration when you decide what to do.

Drew
npihanp

Couldn't have stated it any better! That's my opinion, too.

xtm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts