Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this at a pawnshop yesterday,it's got some issues so I got a good deal.One that I'm happy with anyway.I'm planning on having it redone as soon as I figure out who would be the best person to do it.SN.346xx.
It's been over buffed with an electric wheel of some sort,wrong grips but for $225.00 I think I can afford to work on it some. nfiofnp

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
5" Pre war .44 HE 3rd Model of 1926.

Nice.

Try David Chicoine. He does outstanding work. Better than Ford's in my opinion.

I think that Keith Brown is now making repop prewar / pre magna "service" stocks. AKA: "Round Tops".... however getting the correct 1/2" prewar medallions may be a challenge... alot of fellas just use the postwar 3/8" pattern medallions instead....

Drew

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
combat,
Drew offers good advice.
The work won't be cheap, but the gun is desirable, and probably worth a redo.
Don
;)

·
Registered
19,781 Posts
Guys, Doesn't refinishing a revolver decrease the value over a original finish? 'course at $225 it certainly won't get any cheaper. ;) But, is it worth the money that he puts into it? Bob

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Yes Bob, normally it would.

But in this case the Origional Poster indicates it's already been refinished.

Origional guns, even in relic condition, should be left as is. However, if the gun's already been screwed with all bets are off.

Drew

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
I'd have ripped the seat out of my pants pulling my wallet out at that price.
Would a second refinish take too much of the original markings off?

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you decide to go ahead with your redoing of this gun, the only person I would trust is Gene Williams of Texas at: [email protected]
Gene even follows the original polishing techniques of the period. A true craftsman in my opinion. His wife used to be a member of the other board and visit every once in a while but, haven't heard much from them recently.
Personally, I was disappointed with the work Ford's refinishing did for me and don't have experience with others listed here?
As others have questioned here, refinishing does decrease the value in most cases but, on a model 1926 that Gene redid for me, I was was able to recoup all my money from it after he redid it for me + some profit? Detail is Gene's specialty!
Steve

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Steve,
IMHO Gene is the best, including the Chicoines.
I consider Gene a friend, and a master craftsman.
I have used all the folks you've mentioned, and at one time or another they could all turn out good work.
Dave Chicoine has turned the S&W 'late model' (non-breaktop) business over to his son.
My last experience there was not satisfactory.
Fords was still real good when I last used them, but that's been several years ago.
Gene, unfortunately, is really into the M-1911 and high-powered rifle business, and he recently tore down his bluing shed.
He found the revolver business too much hassle and too time-consuming, and since his wife retired he's not real interested in spending 24/7 redoing old revolvers.
He plans to build a new bluing shed eventually.
The Chicoines could probably re-stamp, re-engrave and refinish your gun for $ 800-$ 1,000.
Fords would be considerably less.
The choices (these days) are pitifully limited.
Good luck on your quest.
Don
;)

·
Registered
19,781 Posts
Drew & Don, Would you say that the gun would be worth what he has put into it? Would he just have an interesting shooter, but he could never recoup his money? Bob

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies,I should have been a little more clear.The gun has not been refinished,the person who pawned it tried to shine it up so he could git more money for it.All the barrel marking's are still very clear.He mostly screwed up the sides of the frame and side plate.The cylinder was lightly pitted so suffered the worst buffing.Look at how he even buffed the part of the hammer you could see.I'm going to shop around and see who could fix it up for me.I want a good looking shooter,it doesn't have to be perfect.I had this 38/44 redone by a company in Fla.a few years ago and it looked worse than this one.It had been redone,very badly at one time with most of the markings removed.The name of the company was something like Rebel Refinishers.I am not sure they are still in business.
The heavy duty

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
If the gun's finish is still intact, I'd leave it alone.... original finish 1926's are tough to find in any condition.... I might consider having the hammer and trigger re cased from where they were buffed, but even then they'd probably look out of place.... perhaps a good used prewar hammer is in order...

Were it mine I wouldn't mess with it an I'd be very thankful to find a 5" prewar 1926 with some of it's original nickel for the money you paid.

Did you look under the stocks for the "W-K" (Wolff & Klar) mark?

Drew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Letter this one. Don and I have had this discussion before finding Gene too busy with the 1911's so that choice is not. As far as the TL lettering next time around they will need to be hand cut, Ford's uses the same individual the Gene uses to recut the rollmarks.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Some really bad news, folks.
In today's mail I received a package from Gene Williams.
It contained one of my M-1950 .45acp Target revolvers, to which Gene was going to fit another cylinder.
The invoice read, "Pistol returned. No work performed, due to bad health."
As I've said before, Gene's done quite a bit of excellent work for me over the years, and he'd had this gun (and cylinder) since July.
This is a sad and worrysome development, as there just aren't many craftsmen of Gene's caliber.
Don
l;gmna;

1 - 13 of 13 Posts