Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been kind of looking for Winchester Model 1873 for a few years now and have been tron between getting a modern replica or holding out for an original. My heart has always said that I would be happiest with an original Model 1873, but my wallet said that I couldn't really afford one. I am the type that always prefers to have original versions of classic firearms and I know from experience that I would never be satisfied with a Uberti or a modern Winchester copy made in Japan. However, decent, functional, original '73's tend to be somewhat expensive and those in the price range that I could afford have generally been beat to death with sewer pipes for bores.

Well, I was out doing my usual gun store crawl the other day and found a 1888 vintage Model 1873 in 44WCF at a local gun store that was priced within the limit I had placed on myself for buying one, i.e., approximately what a new Italian replica would cost. I have been trying to curb my natural instinct to impulse buy any gun I come across that interests me, but darn it, once I looked down the barrel and saw that it had a decent bore I just had to have it. To add to the drain on my bank account, sitting there with it was a super nice .38-55 Marlin Model 1893 made in 1900. The bore on it is absolutely perfect with strong rifling and it's as shiny as a new dime! I admit that I am weak when it comes to nice original guns and while I am not a lever gun collector, or a western collector, or for that matter, a collector of any sort of cowboy stuff, I just couldn't leave either of those two beauties sitting there.

Both the Winchester and the Marlin have Rocky Mountain front sights which look as though they had been with the rifles since they were new and I suspect that they were a special ordered option from the factory.

While the Winchester is in very good condition, the Marlin is just lovely. There is nearly 100% bluing left on the barrel with about 75% on the magazine, the wood has never been sanded and there are still strong traces of the original case colors on the receiver and lever.
IMG_9552_Fotor.jpg

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
They're both in great shape! Congratulations on your find!

·
Registered
22,084 Posts
Congratulations on picking up some fine rifles!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts