Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into the retail store of the local gun range today to air some complaint about their skeet fields not working. After talking with the owner, I went "awandering" to their walk-in long gun vault and perusing their handgun case. (which was FULL of new black plastic wonder guns).
Down in the darkest corner of the glass case was this revolver..........upon further inspection a decent 17-2 sitting on consignment. They were asking $850, I countered much lower, they called the owner and a deal was done. Took off the ugly rubber Pachmayrs and put on a set of GAs from my 66 and now it is decent enough.
My question to the group is this-
I am seriously thinking of putting a handgun scope on this one (not a red dot) and was curious how to go about it - are there mounts that simply replace the current adjustable sight rig, or is this a gunsmith tap and die scenario?

Thanks for any insight...........
I'll be be leaving my 17-4 3Ts as I found that when I bought it at a flea market

·
Registered
26,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been here a while GUY (used to be on Blue for a while as well).....;)

But THANKS!

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Registered
29,964 Posts
Congrats on adding that 17-2 to the collection. I found my 17-4 at a LGS. Great shooters indeed. Enjoy and keep us posted on the scope addition.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Very nice find. I think it will have to be drilled and tapped for a scope but I might be wrong. Since you already have one without go ahead and scope this one. It sure will be fun to shoot.

·
Registered
26,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know my old eyes will shoot it better. I know adding a red dot to my Ruger PCC made my 50 yards group shrink.....

·
Registered
419 Posts
If I was doing your job, I would remove the adjustable sights, take an appropriate sized Weaver mount, machine the mounting surface to fit the slot in the top of the receiver and add holes in the Weaver to match the existing sight. Then I would get another rear screw and mounting post and simply attach the Weaver to the frame top. That way, you can put the gun back to original if/when you want to do so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.