Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_4958.jpg A question for the group. I have my guns in a safe, with humidity control. I just purchased a Seahorse four gun case for range trips. Very well sealed. See picture. Is it safe to leave four guns in there permanently? Nested in foam that may absorb humidity. Maybe add a drier of some kind in the center pocket? I have some high dollar stuff in there. Like everyone my safe is rather full and t5nis would give me four new homes. It is a good quality case, better than the guns came in. I might be worrying about nothing.

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
I wouldn't do it because where I live in Arizona it gets very hot and I've seen foam or all sorts break down after a few years, become sticky, ugly messes that I'd not want glommed onto any of my firearms. I'd try something like cloth padding with a silicone infusion that could be applied by a spray. I realize you're in the 'Great White North', but some of the foam failures I've experienced have been inside my conditioned home, not exposed to the extreme temps.

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
Depends on the foam. Some foams, all by themselves, out gas acetic vapors, and over the years deteriorate into a dense sticky goo.

I store them in the air in the safe, or inside silicone impregnated sock.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
If it is hot where you live and you then take that case from the cold AC to the hot outdoors for your trip to the range, condensation can develop; look what happens with your glasses.
Personally, I would not store high value guns in that - transport, yes, store, no.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
If it's in a foam case, mine are wrapped in NOX paper first.
Most are in bags/gun rug/ whatever you call the zippy bags

Reactions: Brassmonkey

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I was quite amused when a very knowledgeable friend suggested that he would rather use a bucket of wet sand to store his pistol rather than in a foam box. Of course he would not use the wet sand either. FOAM IS NOT GOOD FOR Metal Guns!

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
A cautionary tale: I once made a living doing wedding photography. Had a nice rig with two Mamiya 645 bodies, collection of lenses and film backs and accessories. Kept it in my Halliburton case with foam lining. After I quit that to get a real job. I put it back in my equipment room (climate controlled) and moved on. A year later I thought to revive the beasts and was horrified to see $10,000 worth of gear sitting in a puddle of goo. Never again. If I MUST use foam for transport packing of anything it is for the shortet time possible!

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I wouldn't use a foam case. I have used padded rifle/shotgun cases, with the zipper wide open for for storage for over 40 years, with no effects on my prized Ithaca 37 and Winchester 94. Both are in perfect condition.....even the shotgun, which I used for many years of upland bird hunting. The Winchester is shot very little, and still in perfect condition.

I just sold the Ithaca 37 to a gun shop for what I paid for it over 40 years ago. I didn't use it since I'm too old to hunt much. But.....I still go out hunting with my Savage single shot shotgun or my Savage MK1 .22 rifle. The 'friends' that I know buy expensive 4wd Toyotas for themselves........but want you to just give them everything!!! Bob

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Use that nice case for transportation only. When you get home take them out, clean them and put them in a climate controlled safe. NEVER store your firearms in a padded case. It is a disaster waiting to happen. BTW. Very nice guns.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all. A range caddy it is. Back into the safe between trips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts