Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing the subsections under Model Specific are being dominated by new members looking for ID, age and value of the particular piece they own. Great, but perhaps a section specific to “What, How Old, How Much is This” would make it easier to use the Model Specific threads for discussions of specific models?

Just a thought.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Good idea!

It should include a sticky with a link to where one can purchase the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, for those so inclined, and a link to where you can buy a S&W letter.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Good idea!

It should include a sticky with a link to where one can purchase the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, for those so inclined, and a link to where you can buy a S&W letter.
Better to get a free answer than pay for the catalog. Haven't you noticed that most of them come on, ask their question, get an answer and never return? I guess that is good for forum stats far as Vertical Scope is concerned.

·
Premium Member
11,365 Posts
Won't work. Why? Because the new folks don't bother to review the site and become familiar with it. For example there are currently three "stickies" in the firearms section that speak to

1. historical letters
2. Authentication letters
3. Need help identifying a firearm

All spelled out for anyone who bothers to take the time to read what is available.

Must be the influence of the "I want it now and don't want to expend any effort" generation.

·
Premium Member
11,365 Posts
...I mean I read these questions from folks.....

some are "Hey I have a revolver I got from a great Uncle....what is it?"

I have learned to ignore most of these requests and feel much more relaxed when coming to the site wanting to learn from and help others.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
...I mean I read these questions from folks.....

some are "Hey I have a revolver I got from a great Uncle....what is it?"

I have learned to ignore most of these requests and feel much more relaxed when coming to the site wanting to learn from and help others.
i don't mind answering questions "off the cuff" if I know the answer, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna look up S/N's for someone too cheap to buy the book. in any event, it would be better to have a designated spot for those questions.

I think a lot boil down to "is this worth enough to buy a Glock". :lol:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
When most folks see S&W catalog 4th edition they don't realize it's a history of the company and the guns they made. I'm pretty new new here and I still enjoy seeing Granpaws old gun posts. Seems I learn a little from most of these posts. The folks here being willing to help awnser my questions has made this one the go to forum for me.
Cliff

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
..... I'm pretty new new here and I still enjoy seeing Granpaws old gun posts. Seems I learn a little from most of these posts. The folks here being willing to help awnser my questions has made this one the go to forum for me.
Cliff
No one's proposing getting rid of them, just putting them all in one place.

·
Super Moderator
31,516 Posts
I can't see it working very well for the same reasons that K22 mention, new members especially those who are only coming on to ask a single question or a few will never take the time to learn the layout and will soon be gone. The ones joining and with the best intention of staying may post in the wrong section but will catch on to how things flow here and will do fine.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Some newbies just don't know enough of the firearms terminology if they did read the instructions. That not a criticism, just an observation.
BTW, I'm gonna get one of those CTG's. They da bomb!!!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Some couldn’t pour pi$$ out of a boot if the instructions were on the bottom..:) I think it’s cool to see, how much family members, think their new heirloom is worth..? What’s sad is, the family member, wanted them to keep it..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Some couldn’t pour pi$$ out of a boot if the instructions were on the bottom..:) I think it’s cool to see, how much family members, think their new heirloom is worth..? What’s sad is, the family member, wanted them to keep it..

Thewelshm
I visit a fun/pawn shop every so often. The owner is very good to me, having sold guns on longer than normal layaway plans and giving me good prices.
A good part of his business is people bringing in family heirlooms and getting rid of them. Grandpa's guns are sold or pawned every week. The daughter or son let the grand kids move into grandpa’s house, loot what they didn’t take, and live their free.
Heirlooms are gone after a few years. The house goes up for sheriff’s auction because no one paid the property tax.
It’s sad....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.