2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this service worth it? It's supposed to include:
(quoting from the website)
  • Polish Ramp & Hood
  • Tuned Action
  • Install Performance Center Sear
That's for $120 plus shipping.
What would I gain from this on a stock M2 9mm 4.25" FS? Would a somewhat-new shooter (6 months) notice a difference?

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Many new shooters think a better trigger, a better set of sights, or a different gun is going to make them shoot better. Generally it won't, or at least it won't as much as you would hope. More time behind the trigger is what helps, both live and dry fire. It takes a long time to develop the skills and muscle memory needed to shoot well. If you are jerking or mashing the trigger, a better trigger system wont help until you learn trigger control. If you flinch. better sights won't help until you learn to get over the flinch. If your gun twists and shifts between shots, new grips won't help until you develop a firm, steady grip technique.
When i started shooting handguns regularly, a friend and I got out almost weekly until winter and we even got out every few weeks in the winter. At the end of the year we were definitely better. At least now all the shots were actually hitting the target somewhere, but we werent what anyone would consider, good. Fast forward a few years, with regular range trips numbering about 25-30 per year and now we can pick up any gun, either revolver or semi- auto and shoot 9 rings or better at 25 feet and we can ring steel at 25 yards regularly, even with a little pocket revolver.
Someone famous once said, " Shooting handguns accurately is simple, it just isnt easy", and that pretty well sums it up. Aligning the sights, and squeezing the trigger sure are simple things to do, but doing them both at the same time, isnt easy

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Jonesy is 1000% correct. The only way to shoot a pistol/revolver accurately is practice, practice and more practice. I have been shooting them for almost 50 years and when I first started I couldn’t believe I couldn’t hit what I was aiming at. After reading many books and spending lots of time at the range I finally began to get better. Put a few hundred rounds through your gun (500-750) and then if you want to get the work done then do It.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know 99% of good shooting is me. And, I'm not looking to pimp out my gun. I just want my gun to be the best it can be within a reasonable budget. Just like I want my car to be the best it can be short of hot-rodding it or swapping out the engine, knowing that it won't make me a better driver. But it will give me a better experience. I'm already well over 500+ rounds on this gun and have no complaints/like the gun as is. Not being a gunsmith, I was just curious what these particular services/part swaps would accomplish on my gun and if the differences would be noticeable to someone with limited experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts