Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past year I've sent five revolvers to Smith & Wesson's gunsmiths, and here's how it went. I sent in each gun with no grips.

Model 686+ "Combat Revolver Package" came back with the (presumably) original pin and spring, and a free pair of grips (I furnished the Ahrends grips pictured on the gun):

DSC00131.JPG

Model 19 Classic "Master Revolver Action Package" came back with a free pair of grips (I furnished the Pachmayr grips pictured on the gun):

DSC00133.JPG

Model 581 "Master Revolver Action Package" and "High Bright Polish" came back with an especially nice, crisp glass-break action (S&W would not convert the square butt to round butt, so I had that done first, locally):

DSC00136.JPG

Model 586+ "Master Revolver Action Package" included an unpleasant surprise in the form of a $45 "PC Firearm Estimate & Range Test" that's not on their website and wasn't divulged during the original call-in:

DSC00134.JPG

Model 13 Performance Center Carry Gun "High Bright Polish" again included the $45 "PC Firearm Estimate & Range Test" which, oddly, is still not mentioned on their website or the call-in despite the complaints this has generated.

Smith & Wesson agreed not to reapply the Performance Center logo below the cylinder latch:

DSC00140.JPG

Overall the work was well done, and the turnaround times were reasonable.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure what these revolvers looked like before Smith and Wessons custom Shop got them but, at this moment, they look fantastic!!! Wondering why only the 581 came back with the sweet trigger??? As far as the $45.00............what's 45 bucks between friends, eh???? My personal favorite is the Model 13.....jus' sayin', Chief.

Gary

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The triggers are all pretty sweet, but more like the typical description of "buttery" or "smooth." I had read of "the classic broke glass Smith & Wesson action" but didn't really understand what that meant. Maybe I do now.

The 13 Special Edition is my favorite, too, and definitely...but the 581 almost caught up after that action work.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
What is the difference between the Combat action and the Master?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had one of those PC 13s a while back. Looks great in high polish blue!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the difference between the Combat action and the Master?
I always wondered about that, since the S&W website merely says the Combat Package includes a "tuned action" whereas the Master Package specifies "Polish Rebound Spring, Hammer Stud and Yoke Barrel Bosses...Detail Lockwork Surfaces...Stone Hammer and Trigger Contact Areas."

...maybe the Master Package involves a more extensive action job. I need to ask them next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts