Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having quality issues with their Model 41. After waiting 6 months for it to arrive, it is on it's way back to S&W. With less than 200 rounds fired. Two primary issues frequent jamming and hard to clear. The second is a safety issue-there is a delayed trigger action. I am using only CCI green tag ammo. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Mitch

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
The M 41 is "notorious" for being a finicky ammo specific gun
The slide is very heavy and the recoil spring is tight. Mine went through teething problems. It runs perfect on CCI SV 40 grain but will not run on Federal Auto Match
Green Tag probably does not have enough energy to cycle the gun.

Try some 40 grain HV ammo, (not for ever, just to see if it works and loosens up)

SW is not gonna give you "new one" until they work on on yours

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I would "fix" the original unit as there is nothing like having a gun worked on by an actual human being. Getting another "production" unit may be no better than what you got the first time. A sad state of manufacturing today,where humans have been almost completely eliminated from the building and testing procedure..but this is what it is today.

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Gotta agree with repair first. They may just put a new "everything" on your old frame. Repair or replace is usually up to the manufacturer anyway. Damn shame the PC crowd ain't ding their QC jobs!

May explain why AOBC stock is running flat these days....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Picked up an older model from '69, their QC is not what it used to be sadly. That said mine liked the CCI Standard Velocity, it cycled the CCI green box target well, also shot a bit higher. Try to get them to make it right, they did on a model 22-4 that was all buggered up. Now it's fine. Good luck

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
You can buy a reduced power recoil spring from Wolff which will probably "cure" the issue

https://www.gunsprings.com/SMITH & WESSON/NUMBERED SERIES/cID1/mID58/dID261
Exactly what I did with my Kimber 45acp when using the 22 LR slide and mag. Would work for the Smith as well.

As an aside, S&W will not replace the firearm unless the deem it not repairable. You can 'request' all you want to but it's entirely up to them if they replace it or not, not you and they won't first go around anyway, so call customer service and have them issue an RMA and a Fed-Ex pickup label and send it back.

In the past, I've found them extremely easy to work with but again, making a demand for replacement will fall on deaf ears until they determine that firearm isn't fixable.

As an aside, I waited 6 months + for my Performance Center 460 XVR that exhibited some issues and I sent it back and S&W corrected all issues first time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts