Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had heard about a home formulated oil that was said to be good on frozen screws in rifle barrels. I had a electrical terminal tie point on my old car that I wanted to get apart. It was a threaded stud on a copper bus with a nut that wouldn't budge. The bus was heavy sheet metal that would've crumpled up with any hard force. I ordered 3 glass nail polish bottles from American Science and Surplus to put it in. It was Ford automatic transmission fluid mixed with oil of peppermint from Walgreens. 1/3 peppermint oil to 2/3 ATF. I brushed some on the tie point and waited an hour. I was then able to get the nut off without damage to the bus. I have since used it on clock assemblies and other difficult nuts, bolts and screws. It smells good too.

·
Registered
22,136 Posts
Interesting. Good to know and thanks for sharing. :)

Reactions: jeepnut and 19and41

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are some applications that I would be leery of the acetone, but I'll bear it in mind. I forgot to say it broke my '96 F-150's EGR valve loose too.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Yes to Kroil Oil. Used it quite frequently out in the tank farm of the Oil Refinery. Rusted up fittings responded quite nicely. Spray a little or drip some Kroil Oil on the fitting. Gently tap with a hammer. Wait about 30 minutes, and there you go. Didn't respond as you wished, repeat. Worked on a 74 Blazer muffler hanger strap and you just know how rusted up they can get.

CAUTION: Wear gloves when using. Don't mess around with this stuff. The MSDS sheets are rather serious.

·
Registered
13,437 Posts
A 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone works well too. I have also heard of your mixture with some acetone added.
What I use in s sptitz bottle. Beats PBlaster hands down.

·
Registered
13,437 Posts
I can mix up a heck of a lot of ATF and acetone for what a can of Kroil costs. 'm cheap...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts