Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's have some fun at the expense of a few birds... ;)

Mythbuster's 101....
Partridge are a afternoon feeder, so don't bother until after mid-day...

Actually, in colder weather the P'tridge will find a nice conifer to roost in after daybreak. They love to warm themselves up when it's frosty on the ground. You'll bust more birds out of the trees then the groundcover.

Keep lookin' up...and break your step....Walk then stop. You'll notice you flush alot of birds when you break step ~ they figure you've spotted them...

giz

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
First time I went quail hunting here in Arizona, the fella I was with pulled up on some birds running down a wash. I asked him if he was going to shoot them while they were running and he said, "No, I'm going to wait for them to stop". These birds will do about anything. From running for a mile {at speeds that would leave the 'Road Runner' in the dust}, run for 20 yards and fly for a mile, to sit until you step on them. Season opened last Friday but,,, work and family put the birds on the back burner. This weekend though,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Looks like some good fly tying materials there. Oh yeah, besides the table fare I mean. I have a couple of home made wet fly recipies that require partridge feathers and they tend to work really well, the trout love them, that quail has some color in it that could easily be used for some others.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
My buddy Scott, and I are heading out in a few minutes. Driving up past Berlin to spend the weekend chasing these little guys around the north woods. Should be fun, as it is also opening day of moose season. We're going to stay the night at his folks house and get spoiled by his mother's cooking. I understand she has already made a couple meat pies for us. Yummm.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Shaun, keep us posted...and please post some pictures upon your return.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Azmick, that's a great picture of a Gambel's quail. I've got them all over the Peach Orchard. I've seen some Scaled quail as well. Not many of them, but they're out there. Season opens November 14. Heh, heh, you know where I'll be that weekend. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here is a picture of some old dude and Caleb the wonder pup that Drew snaped last week before my camera went fubar... they dont look as pretty as the one that Geoff posted. :mrgreen:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Friend came up from Cape Cod. Took him p'tridge hunting late this morning. Birds were hanging in the trees until 2pm today. Thought that was odd. Anyrate, we flushed three and no guns went bang... ;) But it was a nice relaxing day in the field and I found some pretty good deer sign.

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
REVORG and I shot them in the morning, afternoon and evening. We shot them on the ridges and in the swamp. We took them from ranges of 15 feet to 40 paces. They were in the Raspberry patches, Spruce trees, Poplar, Tamarack and Maples. The only common feature was that we found them on or near the road gathering gravel for their craw. Dried gravel seemed to be preferred.

My Digital crapped out just before I left the house, and with no time to dick around, I grabbed a couple of disposables. There's about 40 snapshots total. Need to get that film developed.

Drew

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I got this one last year with that S & W 22A about this time. She was standing about 10 yards or so away in heavy timber.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Very cool guys, they seem to be scarce around these parts for the last couple of years, not sure why. I guess maybe it might have to do with the yotes, they have been multiplying like mad. Do yotes eat them?

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
'yotes will eat just about anything. They never pass up an easy meal. In the rural areas and the suburbs, too, many small farm animals, dogs and cats, are an easy meal. :roll: Bob

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
It has been my observation that Partridge populations can tolorate foxes, owls and sporadic coyote predation. House cats on the other hand can wipe them out in a season. Steps should be taken whereever possible to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
David, that is a great photo!
Over the years I have shot a fair number of partridge with a .22LR handgun. IMO it is every bit as challenging as the flush using a shotgun. As it seems you have done, I shoot for the head. Miss on a side or over the top, the bird gets away unharmed. A bit low and its usually a fatal "miss".
Never is how often I have felt unsportsmanlike hunting partridge with a handgun, and shooting them while they are on the ground. Walking down a partridge is an art form all by itself.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Geoff40 said:
Never is how often I have felt unsportsmanlike hunting partridge with a handgun, and shooting them while they are on the ground. Walking down a partridge is an art form all by itself.
Geoff, do you know what the difference is between a ruffed grouse and partridge?

A partridge is on the ground. kihfL

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Grouse get hit pretty hard by owls, hawks, and predatory birds along with foxes, coyotes, and bobcats. They have a horrible mortality rate, out of 1,200 birds, roughly 130 make it to be 3 years old. The worst predator is the goshawk, which is shortened down from its original term, grousehawk.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Birds with a S&W ?
I've done that... :cool:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
David Lapell said:
The worst predator is the goshawk....
The worst predator is the House Cat.

They know nothing other than wanton killing and are not subject to the laws of Carrying Capacity. Their presence upsets the natural balance in the Prey Base - Predator equation.

They have a constant supply of food from the Cat Dish regardless of the environmental conditions and because of that they breed prolifically regardless of the status of the animals they unnaturally destroy.

Partridge are ground nesting birds and the period the young and the hen spend on the nest makes them highly vulnerable. Nestlings have no chance against tabby and he's always there.

I level the playing field every chance I get.

I have hunted covers that produced for many years that suddenly went completely dry. Driving around in the area reveals a new housing development with 20 houses and their obligatory 1.2 cats per house.

Cat owners that don't nueter and declaw their animals or at least keep them indoors constantly do immeasurable harm to small game in general and partridge in particular.

Drew

1 - 20 of 26 Posts