Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys\gals paint your front sight?

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I have used paint and nail polish. I never use anything I can't take off easily.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My model 10 I bought used came to me with a red-painted front ramp... I really don't see why they bothered. I could understand it being a low light, high-viz, reflective, or glow in the dark paint, but it's just a smudge of red paint.

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, my M36 also had some red paint on it when I bought it, it was an amateur job to say the least. I used some hoppes and a toothpick and cleaned it off, then I used some red engine paint and re-painted it, to be honest I like it. You can pick up the front sight fast when it's red.

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris, I live on Long Island and it's about 6 hours from you! kubvcabo

But we should set something up for us NY guys like the New England guys do. The sons are starting school next week, but maybe next spring? What do you think? Or we could just crash the ******* shoot!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've found that on stainless guns with stainless front sights I need something to help my eyes find the blade a bit quicker as the shiny front sights picture gets hard to find expecialy in direct sunlight.
I've been useing Testors Orange model paint & it holds up very well & is easy to apply & remove with acetone without harming anything..
I started this 940s front sight by first sighting the weapon & seeing were I wanted the paint, I just put on the part of the blade that you see when it's sighted properly, I then cleaned the bade with acetone after taking a stainless brush to the grooves to clean any rubbish out of them..
I applied the orange paint with a tooth pick & let it set up overnight, resting the gun so the blade was level.. Then cleaned up any excess with a q-tip dipped in acetone, The sight came out looking pretty good & has held up for over two years with lots of holster useage..
I need to do this to my 642 as well but haven't gotten around to it yet..
The Testors Orange looks the best to me but there's many differnt colors that could work, Try haveing a look at Walgreens in the wemens area at the fingernail polish, you'll notice there's alot of colors that just stand out from the others..
Gary/Hk
940s Front Sight Blade
Testors Orange

·
Registered
35 Posts
Suggest you use flat white first, then red or orange over it. The white undercoat makes the color brighter.

I use a ball end tool in a Dremel to make a recess for the paint for a red dot appearance
A little more work but the paint doesn't wear off as quick.

·
Registered
22,113 Posts
I painted the entire front sight on my nickel M-36. The sight is so darn small ....it's hard to "pick up" when you point the gun. I practice close range defensive shooting the most.......Point Shooting. I just have to see the red color of the sight in my periferal vision to get it pointed in the right direction for accurate shots.

When I use the sights, it is much easier to "pick up" the red front sight in the middle of the rear sight. The sight is very thin and it's hard to find with the bright nickel finish.......+ I'm 60 y.o.!!! I need all the help I can get for CCW. :lol: Bob

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Nice job, Gary!
I also use Testors, but 'roll' it on with a round, tapered toothpick.
Any excess on the sides of the sight-blade wipe off easily, and the serrations on the ramp never load up with extra paint.
I've done the same thing with gold, and either color does well for me.
Don
;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Nope, not I. :)
Actually, I blacken the red ramp on my 686 with a black sharpie marker. I have also smoked em with a carbide lighter. It gives a cleaner sight picture than the red/orange ramps.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
If you're doing bullseye w/black targets indoors, you'll see why McGivern, Call, Skelton, King et al, worked on red, gold and silver blades.
For outdoor work, the smoke/blackening is fine.
;)
Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.