Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the prior site, Sebago Son (Drew) posted a fantastic pictorial 'spread' about a guy who rescues Lockheed Constellations.
Obviously, it disappeared with all the other stuff, and I hadn't thought to save it.
If it's still out there, I'd sure appreciate seeing it again!
Don
lllfaaaa

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Don,

"Connies in the Snow" would be the title of that report this morning..... :shock:

Here's a link to the intial story from 2002:

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-mauric ... liners.htm

Much has been done since that report.... Lufthansa has stepped up as a benefactor and has acquired these machines from Maurice Roundy, assuring their survival....... One of the old girls was rolled out last Thanksgiving and is now in a covered hanger being restored to flight status.......

Here's a video update as of late last fall:

http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/ ... 48403.html

I'll actually be driving right by this facility later today.....

Drew

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Drew!
kfjdrfirii
A real inspiration, to see worthy examples of America's 'glory days' restored by folks who cherish them.
Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great post,I grew up living near the runway approach at Otis AFB in MA. where the Connie's(with the radar bellies)lived.Saw daily flights for years-even saw one on three engines once.Nice to see a few survivors,it would be great to hear that drone again.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
When Lufthansa rolls out their newly restored Super Connie in all it's fresh paint and runs it up in prep for it's first flight, I plan on being there....

I'll post when it's gonna happen and where for those of you that would like to watch, hear and smell a real legend in flight...

Should be sometime in 2014 or so.... :shock:

·
Administrator
8,129 Posts
Drew,
Great post! I remember the oringinal post and thoroughly enjoyed it then.. as now. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts