Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years, I have always carried large frame handguns - Beretta's, Sig's, 1911's, HK's, etc. The smallest auto I've ever carried is a Sig P6.

I've been shooting this 586 quite a bit and have been packing it for the last 2 weeks or so. For some reason, I have absolutely fallen in love with this thing. It really is no larger than most full size autos and with the right holster combination, it is as comfortable, if not moreso than than anything else I've carried.

I've been carrying it in a Bianchi #7 and it hugs in nice and tight and is high enough to clear the bottom of the large T-shirts I wear. I was hesitant about the target stocks at first, but found that they do not print whatsoever (they seem to disappear in that "small" fat roll I have ;) ).

I figure I'd be the laughing stock if anyone knew, as most folks consider a large frame revolver "outdated" and "non-tactical". And only 6 rounds? You gotta have at least 17 with another spare 17 on your belt if you want to survive a gunfight. :roll:

Call me stupid, but I have no hesitation carrying this 586.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you shoot it well and are comfortable with its invisibility what is the problem? If you can't settle the issue with 6 shots you need practice ,not higher cap. +1

·
Super Moderator
32,540 Posts
Should be no problems with that one. I love my 686 +, but it is a bit big for me to carry, so I carry my Ruger SP101 .357 3". I guess if I can't get it done with "only" 5 rounds of .357 hollowpoints then I should be toting a shotgun or else practicing my marksmanship. :lol:

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
LeMat, Many of us here own revolvers, exclusively. We're not going to be in the Gunfight at the OK Corral, or be attacked by terrorists, anytime soon. :roll:

The Police and Military carry semi-auto's to handle combat conditions. Most civilians, that tend to over equip themselves, are just wannabees, that "play" at CCW. They have neither the training, nor equipment to handle a terrorist attack. For those in harm's way, or live in crime prone areas, there is the need to take CCW seriously.

For most, (you and me. for instance) 5 or 6 shots (plus 6 reload) is entirely sufficient to handle most situations. The most important thing is to practice. I know that you do shoot IDPA. ;) Bob

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're absolutely right Bob.

For me, geography certainly plays a part in choice. If I lived in a large metropolitan area, I might make a different choice - or maybe not. ;) We just don't have "big city" crime problems here. I think that is one of the main reasons why people flock to this area. Things may certainly change in the future. I'm more in danger of getting bit by a four footer than getting accosted by someone. I have a habit of shooting IDPA targets on their sides to practice against animals. :lol:

If you've read my signature, that pretty much sums up my philosophy. I read somewhere recently that we've got lots of gun owners, but not that many shooters.

I feel dissapointed when I research the number of CCW permit holders in our county and see the consistantly poor turnout at our monthly matches. I believe we have somewhere around 6,000 permit holders here. Yet, we only get 5-15 shooters at matches - and they are the same ones who have been coming for years now. l;gmna;

·
Registered
402 Posts
LeMatt,
Well that was quick..
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1766
:D
A 686 is a great carry piece if you have the right holster. Throw a speed strip with 6 more rounds in a pocket and you are more than good to go.
I often carry a 4" model 66 when I'm out and about town.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
LeMat, Since .357 mag. is right up there, as far as effectiveness goes, I think that my 2 1/2" 66 is the ultimate for CCW needs. That's why I got one, several years ago. Your 586 is basically the same. I usually carry a .38+P (M-36 or M-10 snubbies), but the .357 rates better than the .45acp (1911) for one shot takedowns. I wanted a 1911....'til I read that!!!! :eek: ;) Bob

But then, for woods carry.....you have the RedHawk.....dontcha'???? :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts