Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
I got my P-7 back in 1999 before all the recent imports started to show up. They were very expensive and hard to find at the time.
I was working a gun show and one walked through the door. It had been shot, stuck in a gun rug without cleaning and stored on a sailboat on the coast for over a year. Needless to say it had some serious rusting and pitting on the slide however the internals were almost pristine. I had always dream of owning one and a deal was made. I got it for 1/3 the going price of a clean one. Since then it as been one of my favorite shooters and my off duty carry piece until I retired it with a Sig p-229 in 9mm . One day it will be sent off for a nickle refinish and a pair of Nills walnut grips.
The P-7 imports have pretty much dried up now, but at the time they were a bargin deluxe. As stated , they are a classic.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wow Charlie..that is just nice. Just as I envision my old shooter turning out. Tell me about the finish on it please. Nickle slide and NP3 treatment from Robar on the frame or what? I know the Nills grips. Thanks for posting your [email protected] I'll be clicking on it a bunch, it just might make me get that refinish job done sooner than later.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Thanks for the complement. The finish is brushed nickle from Tripp Research in Alpine, TX but he doesn't finish guns since last summer (?). I had a P7 (not M8) refinished by http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/ that was every bit as great a job as Virgil Tripp did (and quite a bit cheaper). I love the finish. I love my Nills 'cause they make the grip a tad bit thicker in the middle (my fingers are long but skinny). Below is a picture of both the P7M8 and the P7 (heel magazine release) together.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd go with metalife hard chrome also...they have the best prices around and do great work...mine was done by ford's 8 years ago and only cost me 120 bucks...now most are up around 300, ford's included...Metalife is still about half that...and looks every bit as good...

BTW, mine is an M8 refurb...looked like new inside when I got it, except for the mill mark...Ford's was the only game in town for removing it...they shaved down the slide and put back all the numbers....I even had them put a matching 318 insignia where the mill mark was...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I wanted one back in the 1980's sooooo badly. But I couldn't afford it. When the German Police trade ins arrived two years ago, I bought an A-Grade from CDNN. It's a great shooter as long as you don't fire more than 100 rounds in a row. I learned to bring Band-Aids to cover my trigger finger so it was protected from the heat build up.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
mm6mm6 said:
I wanted one back in the 1980's sooooo badly. But I couldn't afford it. When the German Police trade ins arrived two years ago, I bought an A-Grade from CDNN. It's a great shooter as long as you don't fire more than 100 rounds in a row. I learned to bring Band-Aids to cover my trigger finger so it was protected from the heat build up.
I'm in the same boat, I was in Germany when they started being issued to the police, and showed up in the R&G clubs. I wanted one dearly, but on my pay I knew it was'nt going to happen. I'd had the chance to shoot several over the years, and that just made the craving worse. So along with others here when they showed up here as police turn-ins, I took the plunge, and never looked back. An absolutely great pistol!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts