Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a model 66-1 with slow timing and pondering the idea of replacing the hand. Mine is a 3 pin hand and I'm seeing many replacements that only have two pins. Since the purpose of the third pin is not obvious to me, I'm wondering if it is safe to replace with a two pin hand.

The presumption is that my extractor nubs are still adequate but who knows.

Hand Finger Bicycle part Gadget Nail

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a model 66-1 with slow timing and pondering the idea of replacing the hand. Mine is a 3 pin hand and I'm seeing many replacements that only have two pins. Since the purpose of the third pin is not obvious to me, I'm wondering if it is safe to replace with a two pin hand.

View attachment 562919
I'm tempted to use an automatic center punch on the ratchet nubs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ratchet teeth look great. How's the bolt movement? Is it snapping right up, quick?
It seems good to me. There is however a little bit of cylinder play.

I just installed an over sized hand and timing is still slow. The guide slot for the hand has this weird speed bump that has me confused.

Videos of what I'm describing can be viewed on my shared Google Photos folder "Model66" using link below:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I would call Brownells.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

View attachment 562919
Well, I really did a number on this peen attempt. Carry Up timing is now good on 5 out of 6 cylinders but on one ratchet nub I managed to knock out a chunk of metal in the worst place. Any ideas beside JBWeld?
Suspect at 3 o'clock:
Hand Finger Wood Currency Money

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
I wouldn't use JB weld. You could get a gunsmith to do a micro weld and shape the tooth with files. Or you could contact S&W and get them to send you a new ratchet. You might even find a good used one at Numrich.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts