Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was the first one I've seen in real life and I saw it today...for sale. A 7 1/2" gen-u-wine 1st generation SAA with the real deal -- a King short action job, something I've read about in Sixguns and in JT's Single Action Sixguns for a long time. Drooled over the pictures too.

This one differed from Elmer's in that it had no barrel band and is .357. Has that King Cockeyed Hammer just like Elmer's has. The short action is sweeeeet. Beautiful gun. The proverbial natural pointer. The serial number indicates that it was one of the last guns out of Hartford before they scrapped the Model P machines. They only made 628 SAAs in .357 in the 1st generation guns. Only problem is trying to pony up the big bucks. I have enough to put it on lay away. Oh well, gotta have goals in life, right?

I'm going to ask to take photos of it tomorrow. This, except for the caliber, is my grail gun! Hmmm...maybe Horvath or Clements could convert it to .44 Special!!! NOT! ;)

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
lgnngp
How long before your grin goes away :D

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Kevin,

You lucky dog, you! :mrgreen:

Good for you!
It's only money and there still printin' that...No more 1st Gen. Colts bein' made...

Su Amigo,
Dave

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keith44Spl said:
Kevin,

You lucky dog, you! :mrgreen:

Good for you!
It's only money and there still printin' that...No more 1st Gen. Colts bein' made...

Su Amigo,
Dave
Ain't that the truth! I expect now that Obama ain't gonna make folks pay their mortgages I won't have to pay for this sixgun! :twisted:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Kevin,
Thanks for posting info on a rare and desirable gun! kfjdrfirii
Any guess as to approximate production date ?
Don

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DHENRY said:
Kevin,
Thanks for posting info on a rare and desirable gun! kfjdrfirii
Any guess as to approximate production date ?
Don
I called John Taffin the night before the purchase (name dropper!) and he told me it was built in 1940. Also said that many of the 628 1st gen .357s went to England during the Battle of Britian and that makes this one a very hard to find model. I don't think the Lord really cares too much about our guns, big picture wise, but He surely smiled on me with this one!

BTW, JT is one kind, gracious man. As busy as he is he took time to get out a couple of his Colt books and look up several things for me. He truly is "down to earth" good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts