Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how long this has been around but I thought it was worth viewing. Seems to have been an obvious squib load stuck in the barrel and another round fired into it. Ouch! I have very little info on it but supposedly it seriously injured the shooter. It can happen to any gun; pistol, revolver, or rifle. Check your loads and be careful.

G

·
0 Posts
Boy, I'm seeing something new here...must be just me.

Anyone else think this round detonated before being fully seated in the chamber?

giz

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I don't think premature detonation would cause this much damage. But would show a 'blown out' case much more extreme than the one pictured.
Barrel obstruction or severe over charge {IMO}

G

·
0 Posts
I'm looking at the case head, and it still looks intact. So did the receiver bolt just blow back that much from a overpressure round and all the damage was done by the casing? Curious, as I've never seen a failure like this one.

giz

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Gizamo said:
I'm looking at the case head, and it still looks intact. So did the receiver bolt just blow back that much from a overpressure round and all the damage was done by the casing? Curious, as I've never seen a failure like this one.

giz
I never have, but close. Randalls, up in Glendale has/had a Remington 700 in 270 that got a full case of pistol powder that looks better than that Marlin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Heck, a little Elmer's on the wood and some epoxy on the barrel and that thing will be as good as new. :D

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I suppose it's too late for 'JB Weld'...
Seriously, though, our range manager told us about a four shot squib 'pileup' in the barrel of a Colt .38.
No bulge, believe it or not.
It really pays to be in tune with your gun's 'signals' it's sending.
No recoil?
No noise?
HMMM...........
Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is exactly why i never have and never will rapid fire my reloads. I have seen folks being just plain stupid a few to many times. Call it paranoid if you like but i am still kinda new to reloading so i will continue to take my time. I am at a little over 30,000 rounds with no sqibs, or problems other then 50rnds i loaded of 45acp in which i believe i had some bad primers. Three in a row did not ignite, I took theose old dicount primers, soaked em and trashed em. then pulled the bullets, and started again.

example, load mag, insert mag, charge weapon, aim fire, fire, fire, hey wow that one felt like a bb pistol, oh well recharge weapon, fire, BOOM, sceam in pain, freind calls ambulance, guy goes home, moron lawyers comes to hospital, d-bags try like mad to sue somebody.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts