Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am trying to decide whether to upgrade the trigger on my original version M&P 9mm or purchase the 2.0 model.
The gun only has 800-1000 rounds through it.
The Apex upgrade is $ 180.00.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you....David

· Registered
75 Posts
I have an M&P 2.0 and I really like it. If I had a 1.0 I'm not sure I would sell it to buy a 2.0? Trigger is better but not perfect. Grip texture is too aggressive in my opinion.

I assume you'd sell the 1.0 to fund the 2.0? I haven't checked Gunbroker or anything but I am guessing you'd have to add about $200 to upgrade? I would guess an Apex upgraded 1.0 is still worth a little bit less than a new 2.0 so you might be "money ahead" to go new. Look at what each are selling for if value is your biggest consideration.

But If you really like your M&P except for the trigger, upgrade it, enjoy it and don't feel bad about not having the newer version. It will be a good gun for you for a long time. I know that the trigger wasn't the only thing they changed, and I do think the 2.0 is an improvement. But I also think makers bring new and improved guns to market partly if not mostly to compete for sales against all the other makers' new and improved offerings!

But if you are really itching to get the 2.0, you will like it too. Final thought, even if you get the 2.0 you may end up wanting to upgrade the trigger!

Good luck.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Macdadx5,
Thank you for the insight. You raised some great points.
I have also read abut the displeasure on the grip stippling of the 2.0.
My gun is almost new as I just retired and never had the time to use it.
I see the 1.0 can be purchased new for $400.00. Given the fact that I love the feel of my frame I think I will upgrade to the Apex trigger.
I appreciate your quick response!

Best regards,
David

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think an Apex upgrade is a better value. The 2.0 trigger isn't all that much better than a stock 1.0.
Thank you MWAG.
I think that is the better option as well. After corresponding with Apex Tactical, who are excellent by the way. I am finding out I need several other parts due to it being a 2014 build. To include the sear housing block, trigger bar and possibly the striker assembly.
Even with the extra cost I feel it's well worth it.

Thanks again!

· Registered
281 Posts
I'm running a 2.0. If your are a trigger snob then by all means change it. How ever if you shoot much maybe think 2.0, IDK.

Personally I like the stippling on the 2.0 (YMMV) and after 800-1k rounds I started liking my trigger a LOT more.

Now my gen 1 Shield, THAT's a trigger that needs to be replaced!

· Registered
5 Posts
Definitely get the Apex upgrade. I did in my 1.0 a few years ago, complete kit, and it makes a huge difference. I think you will be surprised just how good it shoots with the Apex trigger kit. Good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm running a 2.0. If your are a trigger snob then by all means change it. How ever if you shoot much maybe think 2.0, IDK.

Personally I like the stippling on the 2.0 (YMMV) and after 800-1k rounds I started liking my trigger a LOT more.

Now my gen 1 Shield, THAT's a trigger that needs to be replaced!
Lol......I'm hoping I can blame my poor grouping on the trigger, not my grip, stance sight picture etc. :p

· Registered
281 Posts
David you might look in your area for deals. Here is a new in the box 2.0 for $375.

· Registered
M&P Shields X5
144 Posts
I have a M1.0 PC, M2.0 & a Plus OR & a PC Plus
The Performance Center Shield Plus has the best trigger of the four.
The M2.0 with the Shield Plus trigger installed is just as good IMO just has a thinner grip area.
Today is my 57th Birthday & am going to pick up a new in the box Shield M2.0 no manual safety for $300.
I will install a Shield Plus Trigger in it before the sun sets IF everything works out right later today.

WHY DO I NEED FIVE M&P SHIELDS?
Photograph Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel
Green Purple Air gun Trigger Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

I have six magazines for the 9mm Shield M2.0 that's coming later on today...
Air gun Trigger Revolver Machine gun Gun barrel

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely get the Apex upgrade. I did in my 1.0 a few years ago, complete kit, and it makes a huge difference. I think you will be surprised just how good it shoots with the Apex trigger kit. Good luck to you. Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Hi Tpepper70, I'm curious, what year is your 1.0? Mine is a 2014. Apex is telling me I MAY need a different sear housing, trigger bar and striker assembly. Did you need to replace all that along with the complete kit? Thanks for your response! David

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a M1.0 PC, M2.0 & a Plus OR & a PC Plus
The Performance Center Shield Plus has the best trigger of the four.
The M2.0 with the Shield Plus trigger installed is just as good IMO just has a thinner grip area.
Today is my 57th Birthday & am going to pick up a new in the box Shield M2.0 no manual safety for $300.
I will install a Shield Plus Trigger in it before the sun sets IF everything works out right later today.

WHY DO I NEED FIVE M&P SHIELDS?
View attachment 589354 View attachment 589355 View attachment 589356
I have six magazines for the 9mm Shield M2.0 that's coming later on today...
View attachment 589357
Hello HEADKNOCKER2,
Thanks for your reply. I will certainly look into the Shield Plus.
Thanks

· Registered
M&P, CSX
206 Posts
I have both a 1st gen M&P (.40, but it'll have the same trigger mechanism) and an M&P 2.0 in 9mm. So I'll weigh in a bit.

Grip texturing - I've grown to appreciate the M&P 2.0's texture. That thing is not going to slip like the 1st gen can. If you find it too aggressive, it can be taken down with a careful touch up from 600 to 1,000 grit sand paper. Knock the high/coarse spots down until you're happy. I actually had to do that under the trigger guard with my 1st Gen M&P - while dry firing it started to rub the first knuckle of my middle finger raw. I have not felt the need to change the texturing of the 2.0 YMMV.

I intend to get an M&P 2.0 backstrap for my 1st Gen M&P. I've already tried, it will fit.

As far as the trigger goes, the M&P 2.0 has a long uptake, but a pretty good wall and break from the factory. I could have happily lived with it, but I put an apex kit in it just to see what it did. I also have an Apex trigger kit in my 1st Gen M&P and it's leagues ahead of the 2.0 - even with an Apex trigger installed in the M&P 2.0 as well. There's far less slack to take up on the 1.0, a more firm wall, better more crisp break, and shorter reset.

My example of an M&P 2.0 does have front cocking serrations. I've gotten a little spoiled with regard to those and enjoy having them around. It's also cut for a red dot.

I like both guns and don't intend to get rid of either. All of that said, if I had to choose between the two I would sooner sell off my M&P 2.0 and continue to modify my 1st Gen M&P. The M&P 40 won't be going anywhere.

I'm more than a little tempted to pick up a second slide for the M&P 40 and see about having it cut for an optic and maybe getting some front serrations cut into it. Just so I can keep the original slide as-is and have an easy swap to a 'fun slide' for range day.

Sleeve Trigger Air gun Font Gun barrel

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have both a 1st gen M&P (.40, but it'll have the same trigger mechanism) and an M&P 2.0 in 9mm. So I'll weigh in a bit.

Grip texturing - I've grown to appreciate the M&P 2.0's texture. That thing is not going to slip like the 1st gen can. If you find it too aggressive, it can be taken down with a careful touch up from 600 to 1,000 grit sand paper. Knock the high/coarse spots down until you're happy. I actually had to do that under the trigger guard with my 1st Gen M&P - while dry firing it started to rub the first knuckle of my middle finger raw. I have not felt the need to change the texturing of the 2.0 YMMV.

I intend to get an M&P 2.0 backstrap for my 1st Gen M&P. I've already tried, it will fit.

As far as the trigger goes, the M&P 2.0 has a long uptake, but a pretty good wall and break from the factory. I could have happily lived with it, but I put an apex kit in it just to see what it did. I also have an Apex trigger kit in my 1st Gen M&P and it's leagues ahead of the 2.0 - even with an Apex trigger installed in the M&P 2.0 as well. There's far less slack to take up on the 1.0, a more firm wall, better more crisp break, and shorter reset.

My example of an M&P 2.0 does have front cocking serrations. I've gotten a little spoiled with regard to those and enjoy having them around. It's also cut for a red dot.

I like both guns and don't intend to get rid of either. All of that said, if I had to choose between the two I would sooner sell off my M&P 2.0 and continue to modify my 1st Gen M&P. The M&P 40 won't be going anywhere.

I'm more than a little tempted to pick up a second slide for the M&P 40 and see about having it cut for an optic and maybe getting some front serrations cut into it. Just so I can keep the original slide as-is and have an easy swap to a 'fun slide' for range day.

View attachment 589482
Hello Marshal_3,

Thank you for the great perspective/information. I will be breaking the 1.0 down tomorrow to see if I have to buy other parts along with the Apex kit. As mentioned in previous threads I may need a new sear housing, trigger bar and striker assembly.
Thanks again,
David

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi Tpepper70, I'm curious, what year is your 1.0? Mine is a 2014. Apex is telling me I MAY need a different sear housing, trigger bar and striker assembly. Did you need to replace all that along with the complete kit? Thanks for your response! David
I went with this kit
Mine was older, I ended up trading it a while back, and didn't need to replace anything but the stuff in the kit. I would ask if you can return the housing if not needed. I will say this, I've had a few nice 1911's and this kit made the trigger kit almost as good. Extremely nice.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
36,496 Posts

View attachment 589482
The M&P .40 is a twin for the one we have here, nice pistol!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello all, I successfully installed the Apex trigger this past weekend. Just what the doctor ordered!!!! So far just dry firing but it's awesome. Light pull and short reset. I will update this thread when I get to the range. Thanks to all for your points of views!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts